excel rims brake fitment

I bought my 426 over the winter and dont know all that much about it. It has some excel rims on it i guess, and one of the things i noticed is that the rear brake caliper doesnt fit well. Only about half of the pad is making contact with teh disc? Is this a common issue? What can i do to fix this ?

ea46224f.jpg

that hub/rotor looks like it can be for a different bike because those aren't even teh stock 426 spacers. at 9" thats only 228.6 (1"=25.4mm) and thats what it looks like. i would suggest if you don't want to get a new hub to fix the problem which could be expensive try to find out what hub that bike is for. because you might be able to get a bigger one (doubt it though).

im not too sure on how to fix it with out making different mounting brackets for the caliper or getting a new hub at the moment. that is a nice hub though :applause:

See if the diameter of the shoulder on the hub that centers the rotor is the same as a YZ/YZF. If it is, then just using a YZF rotor will solve this. If not, a good guess would be a Honda, going by the numbers. If you could determine which model, you could then see if there is an oversized rotor available, or a later, larger one.

Nice looking hub but that's definitely not a stock Yamaha wheel spacer (the spacer between the hub and the brake caliper). I would just do like Gray says and measure the rotor mounting shoulder on the hub and make a phone call to a disc manufacturer like EBC or Galfer and see if they can get you set up correctly.

No i'm not sure, like i said i bought the bike as is and know nothing about the setup. I was suppose to get the stock rims with new tires too, but never got a hold of them.

The rear tire still locks up, but for some reason just doesnt feel like i have as much control on it

REally wanna straighten this out :applause:

I agree.. How often are you on the rear brake to worry about it. Does it work when you need it? I like the hub, the disc is definitely from something other than a YZ. I don't use much more than that on my Galfer rear disc, check my garage.

• 3 months later...

ok guys, did some reseach and a bit of an update... i sent email to talon and here was their reply:

Dear Gendy

Thank you for your E-mail. I have spoken to Richard in the Wheel

Department who confirms the

following information:

Please find below the following information as requested:

Hub No: 18643 - Yamaha YZ 400 front gold hub built for White Brothers on

06/07/1999.

Hub No: 30988 - Yamaha YZ 1999 rear gold hub built for White Brothers on

08/02/2000.

Please note on your Yamaha YZF 426 2001 bike you will have a 240mm

diameter disc, you require a 245mm disc - TD212D.

Please note if you wish to purchase the above disc then please could you

contact White Brothers who are our US importer. I am sure they will be

able to assist you with your requirements.

Ken Davie

White Brothers

24845 Corbit Place

Yorba Linda

C.A. 92887

U.S.A

Tel No: 001 714 692 3404

Fax No: 001 714 692 3409

E-mail: kdavie@whitebrothers.com

If you have any queries regarding the above then please do not hesitate

to contact me.

I look forward to hearing from you.