650R Valve Adjustment

3 replies to this topic
  • glabudde

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:28 AM

Performed first valve adjustement after about 600 miles. Both intake and exhaust valves were just a hair on the tight side. I figured they would be loose as the bike broke in. Loosended them according to published clearances. Interested in other's experiences and what the effect on performance is.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 18, 2007 - 03:56 PM

Valves get tighter as they seat in, not looser. The valve over time pulls into the head, which causes less clearance between the rocker and the stem, hence "tighter". Mine were also a hair on the tight side, but barely.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hypersthenos

Posted March 18, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Just adjusted mine & found the right intake just slightly tight. It would let the next smaller quage in with no probs. I was surprised that the exhaust valves were all in spec (after turning it over about 20 different times to ensure the auto decompressor was off!) I did mine with the stator cover in place. I can see how I would've saved time if I'd just removed it & used a wrench to turn over the motor-more controll that way.

• XR4DEZ

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:35 PM

Here's an easy way to do the valves.
Put bike in 5th gear.
Remove valve covers.
Remove site cover.
Kick over till valves have play.
Line up "T" with slot in site hole.(moving rear wheel)
Mark "T" with red sharpie(for next time/easy to find)
Check valve play/adjust .008 E & .006 I
Button her up.
Change spark plug while you're at it(2bucks)

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.