Magnetic Drain Plugs... Good/Bad

16 replies to this topic
  • 07XR650L

Posted March 18, 2007 - 05:41 AM

I just ordered a bunch of stuff to start modding my '07 XR650L. I got a skid plate, a UNI air filter, magnetic drain plugs and temperature dipstick.

I was reading on another post that the magnetic drain bolts may have issues... such as the magnet falling off etc. has anyone had these issues? I just hate to waste the money I spent on both the engine and fame drain bolts... they aren't cheap!

One more question, where can I get oil for the UNI air filter? Is it best to use UNI brand oil, or will any oil (like K&N) work?

• goblin127

Posted March 18, 2007 - 05:59 AM

Get the foam filter oil they sell at any bike shop. I have used K&N before in a pinch,but your better off with foam filter oil. I have not had any issue with the magnetic oil plug on this bike or any of my prior bikes.

• 07XR650L

Posted March 18, 2007 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for the info goblin.

• xr650l bum

Posted March 18, 2007 - 06:31 AM

I dont know anybody who's magnet has fallen off. When getting the magnetic drain plug for the frame do not get the aluminum one. The aluminum one has a tendency to end up stipping the threads on the frame. Some type of reaction occurs between the two metals.

• 07XR650L

Posted March 18, 2007 - 06:37 AM

That's wierd that the aluminum would strip the frame... you'd think the bolt threads would strip first. But thanks for lettin' me know. I think both the plugs I got are aluminum. I got them from xrsonly.com. I guess I'll just try and be careful for now. Where can I get a non-aluminum plug?

• LumpyXR650L

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:03 AM

Hi 07XR650L,
On the magnetic drain plugs. I was told that if you put an aluminum drain plug in the steel frame the reaction from the dissimilar metals can basically cause them to fuse together. Thats why you need to use a steel one in the frame. It is fine to use an aluminum plug on the engine. Here is where I got my steel frame plug. MP-07 is for the frame. I called them and asked before I ordered mine. Cya

http://www.magneticd...Plugs/MP07.html

• CTXr650L

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:14 AM

if you use the aluminum one in the frame put some never-seize on the threads and it should help keep it from getting fused in there and screwing up the threads... i have the moose magnetic drain plug in mine and it appears to be steel.

• 07XR650L

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:20 AM

Thanks again guys.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650l bum

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:39 AM

Spend the 10 bucks. Dont mess with the anti sieze. That is the same steel plug I have. They are nice.

• squatpuke

Posted March 18, 2007 - 11:08 AM

Installed my two new XROnly aluminum mag plugs yesterday...

The top tube bolt was fine and torqued ok...however, while tightening, the ALUMINUM XROnly case bolt..I SNAPPED the head clean OFF. I was pissed.

Made an appointment with the local Honda to have it tapped out, but fortunately I was able "catch an edge" of the broken bolt and spin it out with needle nose pliers. Put the stock plug back, in no problems.....still rode today. : )

So BE VERY CAREFUL tightening up those aluminum plugs...DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.

I was lucky.

• XR4DEZ

Posted March 18, 2007 - 01:56 PM

Had an aluminum drain plug seperate and leave the magnet end in the cases. It was a ZipTy anodized aluminum plug. I have a steel magnetic plug and have never had any problems.

• rebelventurer

Posted March 18, 2007 - 01:58 PM

Aluminum plugs are a waste of time and money in a steel frame, you get galvanic corrosion which is amplified by the heat in the oil being cycled through.
Just a word of caution magnets do not stick to aluminum, they have to be bonded, how willing are you to trust this bond? sometimes its done right and lasts, other times well, it can lead to catastrophic failure depending on which steel part it decides to stick to.
If the Gods at Honda saw the need for a magnetic plug the bike would have came with one! Stick with the stock plugs, their not broke dont fix them!
Some things are better left alone!

• XR4DEZ

Posted March 18, 2007 - 02:20 PM

[quote name='rebelventurer']Aluminum plugs are a waste of time and money in a steel frame, you get galvanic corrosion which is amplified by the heat in the oil being cycled through.
Just a word of caution magnets do not stick to aluminum, they have to be bonded, how willing are you to trust this bond? sometimes its done right and lasts, other times well, it can lead to catastrophic failure depending on which steel part it decides to stick to.
If the Gods at Honda saw the need for a magnetic plug the bike would have came with one! Stick with the stock plugs, their not broke dont fix ithem![/QUOTE]

They don't come with a skidplate either???

• 07XR650L

Posted March 18, 2007 - 03:03 PM

How much of an advantage are magnetic drain bolts anyway? Do they really make a big difference? How much do they collect? I just figured that I would install magnetic ones while the bike is new so all the metal shavings from the new motor etc. get caught. I guess the same thing could be accomplished with more frequent oil changes during break-in. Do you think the magnetic plugs are worth sending back?

• rebelventurer

Posted March 18, 2007 - 03:48 PM

Most poeple do not need a skid plate :applause:
Also they have a negative effect on engine cooling, and just gather a bunch of "stuff" which further hampers engine cooling.
I guess if you are rock crawling a skid plate is a good investment, but the average rider only scuffs the skid plate when putting the bike on a stand!

• XR4DEZ

Posted March 18, 2007 - 03:55 PM

How much of an advantage are magnetic drain bolts anyway? Do they really make a big difference? How much do they collect? I just figured that I would install magnetic ones while the bike is new so all the metal shavings from the new motor etc. get caught. I guess the same thing could be accomplished with more frequent oil changes during break-in. Do you think the magnetic plugs are worth sending back?

All I ever see is powdered metal, lets me know everything is wearing out slowly.

• daddyk

Posted March 18, 2007 - 05:53 PM

Most poeple do not need a skid plate :applause:
Also they have a negative effect on engine cooling, and just gather a bunch of "stuff" which further hampers engine cooling.
I guess if you are rock crawling a skid plate is a good investment, but the average rider only scuffs the skid plate when putting the bike on a stand!

I don't know about Florida,but running without a skidplate in the California desert can get expensive in a hurry!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.