So much power!!!!!!

25 replies to this topic
  • gobes32

Posted March 17, 2007 - 11:53 PM

Just wondering how many people were amazed by the power of a four stroke YZ when they first rode one. My first big bike was a 83 XR 250 and it was 7 years before i bought another bike which was last week. I purchased a 2002 426 and i have to admit the power is amazing. So much TORQUE!!!!! Whereas on the XR i used to rev the guts out of it, the YZ scares the crap out of me. I now realize why people told me to buy a 250f he he. How do you guys handle the power? I go around a berm in 3rd and give a little bit of throttle on the way out and next thing the back wheel is spinning and the front wheel is in the air............YEEEE HAAAA. I just had my third ride today and i am starting to gather more confidence but my goodness, what a bike!

• BKRacing

Posted March 18, 2007 - 12:04 AM

Ya gotta love it!

• Type Gendy

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:56 AM

i bought my first thumper (426) this winter, my first db in about 6 years. I got out for one ride on it so far, but it seemed great. Cant wait for the ground to thaw so the tire can get a better bite and really see what shes got

• squad56

Posted March 18, 2007 - 11:17 AM

wait till you get a pipe on it...shell really fly!!:applause:

• Type Gendy

Posted March 18, 2007 - 11:32 AM

Do the pipes generally make the bike louder? I know this is the loudest thing i've ever heard with a stock pipe before

• hutcher

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:27 PM

I'm an old 2-stroke die hard. Started racing motocross in the early 70's and have ridden YZ 250s (75, 77, 80, 81, 82) during my hey-day then retired in 84 to have a couple kids and get a real job. When I came back to riding in 1990 I bought a YZ 490 and it was the scariest thing I had ever been on power-wise. The difference in power between the 490 and my 04 450f is that the four stroke makes poower that is actually controllable and usable. It doesn't just scream you into a corner then try to toss you off when you hit the throttle on the exit, the thumpers make you a LOT faster because they are so easy to control and the low end and strong mid range mean you pull all the way through the powerband. Enjoy the ride!!! (and good choice on the blue bike:thumbsup:

• slammmin72

Posted March 19, 2007 - 06:25 PM

i had/have a White Bros E-series pipe on my 426, it runs amazingly awesome with it. untill i got pulled ove by the ranger for it being to loud. (106dB) so i had to put my FMF Q series pipe on it. now it rides like crap, it feels like its congested, even with the JD jettign kit....i htink im gonna get the new WB E2 pipe, does anyone know if that meets the 96dB limit?

• NM_KDX200

Posted March 19, 2007 - 07:13 PM

I've got 20 hrs on my '04 and I'm actually kind of kind of surprised at how manageable it is. I mean, it's fast and it will absolutely loft the front end but it's not as scary as say, the '97 Honda CR250 I rode where the front end was so light that it felt like it didn't have one!

• TotallyMetal

Posted March 21, 2007 - 08:22 PM

It's a shock you will grow to love. I have been riding 2 stroke 250's for several years and up until this bike I could not find one I actually felt comfy on. I think I have found it with my 01 426.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted March 22, 2007 - 03:26 AM

i use to have a 2001 husky cr125 and that bike riped, but then i got a a2004 yz 250f and the first time on the track with that bike i was scared but i loveed the power. then i bought a 2006 yz 450 last year and just going up my road im like this is a complety diff bike, but i got use to the power and now im riding faster than ever..:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xcessjw

Posted March 22, 2007 - 03:39 AM

I got back into racing/riding about 9 years ago. I had a 96 YZ250 that had a complete pro circuit motor and all the go-fast goodies you could imagine. That bike was insanely fast..or so I thought. I got a new 2004 YZ450 a few years back and I was absolutely amazed at the power and tractability of the 4-stroke. I found that the 4-stroke fit my riding style much better and the amazing power helps make up for some of my many riding mistakes. I am actually toning it down this season after getting all kinds of good information right here..I'm adding a flywheel weight and a FMF Ti-4 exhaust to mellow out the "hit" a bit but GOD I love my bike. The sound alone is captivating and I still grin like an idiot every time I roll the throttle.

• Yamahafan

Posted March 22, 2007 - 05:53 AM

i had/have a White Bros E-series pipe on my 426, it runs amazingly awesome with it. untill i got pulled ove by the ranger for it being to loud. (106dB) so i had to put my FMF Q series pipe on it. now it rides like crap, it feels like its congested, even with the JD jettign kit....i htink im gonna get the new WB E2 pipe, does anyone know if that meets the 96dB limit?

Try the DB-Dawg first. It may save you a lot of money.

http://www.dnamuffle...n/mufflers.html

• TL426

Posted March 22, 2007 - 05:53 AM

last bike i owned was an XR70 7 years ago... only bigger big i rode was a crf230. first time i rode my 426, i debated on wether to buy it or not because of how scary it is... but man am i glad i did. nothing like wheelying the straights and roosting the corners.. and always knowing you have the power to clear the next jump. every day after i ride i have to ice my hands and shoulders because they hurt so bad... but i love it!!!

• gobes32

Posted March 22, 2007 - 11:01 PM

After about three hours of riding spread out over the week, I am finding myself a bit more game to rev the bike out. It is still too much power for the way that i ride but am hoping to get better as i ride the bike more. Have even found myself getting a bit of air on the smaller jumps but corners are still a struggle. Can't find the confidence to turn the bike quickly but i am sure that will come with more hours on the bike.

• motoag93

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:03 PM

I upgraded from a KX250 to an 07 450. Wow. First 3rd gear wheelie was pucker facter 10. :bonk:

I think the power is very manageable even for a newb like me. Have fun. I never had any issues stalling but have heard if you bumb up your idle you may stall less until you get used to the torque.

• TL426

Posted March 27, 2007 - 06:07 AM

yea 426's stall easy and dont like to be started hot, so i always have my idle set a little high. easier than having to wait 5 minutes for it to cool down so it will start.

• LeadDoggy

Posted March 27, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Got on a 426 one day and could not believe the grunt it had

• gobes32

Posted March 27, 2007 - 11:49 PM

I generally never stall in corners mainly it's a problem of keeping the right wrist in check and making sure the bike doesn't go left and i go right!!!!! I have found that the modern four stroke dirt bikes are a lot easier to learn how to ride on than a two stroke. The power is a lot smoother and you don't sit there waiting for the ' power hit '. Give me a few more months and i think i will be writing about how i cleared my first triple, the bike just gives me so much confidence.

• YamahaYZ426F

Posted April 08, 2007 - 11:25 AM

:worthy: :ride: yz426f:worthy: :ride: :thumbsup: :p

• birchbark1

Posted April 08, 2007 - 08:12 PM

well I must say I'm in the same boat as you, I just bought a yz400f and cannot believe the power that it holds, I'm impressed and a little scare with the wheelies I can do at certain speeds, I really have to watch how much throttle I give it at times, I taking air or bringing the front end off the ground unintentional, I just hope that in a bit of time I can harness and control the power to my advantage.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.