07 WR450 first ride....it sucks!!!

9 replies to this topic
  • BigBelly

Posted March 17, 2007 - 08:22 PM

Sucks cuz it's gonna cost me a fortune in tires!!!

Friday was my first ride on my new '07 WR 450 at Carnegie. I guess I should first say that I have been born and bred on 2-strokes and my most recent (prior to this new WR) wan an '03 CRF 450.

The first hour or so, I was happy but I kinda felt like...I don't know, maybe I was expecting more brutal power.

I think I was expecting that Yamaha whiplash power and because I didn't have that, I immediately started to wonder what all the hype was about. Actually, I was kinda bummed but that was short lived.

I have never owned a bike with such linear, smooth power. All of my past bikes have pretty much been all or nothing in the power department. This bike is different and other than the rock hard seat and a bad case of Monkey Butt, I can already say that this is the best bike I have ever ridden, bar none.

I'm not out to belittle owners of other bikes or try and say that my Yamaha is better than your _______ but, I can't frickin believe how nice this bike is.

The power band is a trip. Like I said, I was expecting to have my arms ripped off and while it will do that, I just found it to be a torque monster of seemingly endless proportions. I was always the guy that insisted on having a race style bike for trails and hills because I thought I needed that huge hit of power the very second you hit the throttle. Man was I wrong.

By the end of the day I started to get real comfortable and was doing some pretty gnarly hill climbs, bottom to top, in fourth gear. That's just something I've never done. Something I never thought could be done. I was impressed to the point of disbelief...in a good way!

I'm not a gear head so I guess that makes me a little unqualified to try and write some sort of detailed "test ride" feature. I'm just writing this for the guy who was like me a few weeks ago trying to decide on a blue, red or orange bike and while I can't comment on the other two I can definately say that I chose blue and have no regrets.

I rode 50 miles yesterday and that stock Dunlop 756 in DESTROYED. For some reason I'm happy about that.

A huge WR fan,

Chad

• SXP

Posted March 17, 2007 - 08:27 PM

Sucks cuz it's gonna cost me a fortune in tires!!!

Friday was my first ride on my new '07 WR 450 at Carnegie. I guess I should first say that I have been born and bred on 2-strokes and my most recent (prior to this new WR) wan an '03 CRF 450.

The first hour or so, I was happy but I kinda felt like...I don't know, maybe I was expecting more brutal power.

I think I was expecting that Yamaha whiplash power and because I didn't have that, I immediately started to wonder what all the hype was about. Actually, I was kinda bummed but that was short lived.

I have never owned a bike with such linear, smooth power. All of my past bikes have pretty much been all or nothing in the power department. This bike is different and other than the rock hard seat and a bad case of Monkey Butt, I can already say that this is the best bike I have ever ridden, bar none.

I'm not out to belittle owners of other bikes or try and say that my Yamaha is better than your _______ but, I can't frickin believe how nice this bike is.

The power band is a trip. Like I said, I was expecting to have my arms ripped off and while it will do that, I just found it to be a torque monster of seemingly endless proportions. I was always the guy that insisted on having a race style bike for trails and hills because I thought I needed that huge hit of power the very second you hit the throttle. Man was I wrong.

By the end of the day I started to get real comfortable and was doing some pretty gnarly hill climbs, bottom to top, in fourth gear. That's just something I've never done. Something I never thought could be done. I was impressed to the point of disbelief...in a good way!

I'm not a gear head so I guess that makes me a little unqualified to try and write some sort of detailed "test ride" feature. I'm just writing this for the guy who was like me a few weeks ago trying to decide on a blue, red or orange bike and while I can't comment on the other two I can definately say that I chose blue and have no regrets.

I rode 50 miles yesterday and that stock Dunlop 756 in DESTROYED. For some reason I'm happy about that.

A huge WR fan,

Chad

Have you had all the mods done? Jetting, airbox, muffler insert?

• BigBelly

Posted March 17, 2007 - 08:47 PM

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I have done all the mods (had the dealer do them). Grey wire, air box, GYTR insert and jetting.

The service tech told me to go out and find a YZF header. Supposed to be a better bend, larger diameter, thinner, lighter, stronger and more powerful than our stock WR headers.

He also refered to a muffler he was really happy with from a performance and sound standpoint. Something like La Vince, De Vince. I don't know, something like that. Said that he tried the FMF Q and wasn't impressed.

I should also mention that I'm currently a Biscut over 300 lbs. Maybe that's why I was so impressed with the fourth gear hill climbs!!!

I'm hungry....

Chad

• jcmmcgee

Posted March 17, 2007 - 08:56 PM

Yea, got mine a couple of weeks ago no mods but still love it! As far as the seat goes &%$#@! would a little padding hurt the handling? not! I put 60 miles on mine last Sat. Sunday I still had the ole monkey butt!

• SXP

Posted March 17, 2007 - 09:29 PM

The service tech told me to go out and find a YZF header. Supposed to be a better bend, larger diameter, thinner, lighter, stronger and more powerful than our stock WR headers.

You know those hill climbs you like so much.....those same climbs that the low end grunt of the bike gets you up? Well, a larger diameter headpipe is going to screw that up. You'll probably get more top end, but at the expense of low end torque.

He also refered to a muffler he was really happy with from a performance and sound standpoint. Something like La Vince, De Vince. I don't know, something like that. Said that he tried the FMF Q and wasn't impressed.

Leo Vince, I believe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gregwr450f

Posted March 18, 2007 - 01:46 AM

Rear tyre probs hey...............Pirelli MT-43 will fix that.

• TWILES

Posted March 18, 2007 - 07:20 AM

I fried mine on my 05 in about that time. I bought a 739 Dunlop. It doesn't hook up as good in curtain places but it doesn't wear as bad. I have 60 miles of gravel and hardpack on it + some riding at home in the fields. The grass actually wore on the 756.

• sjwr450

Posted March 18, 2007 - 08:43 AM

in his case the larger diamter pipe works fine. The stock Wr450 pipe is the same as the 250. I pulled my YZ pipe off and tried and and it felt much better. So I quickley ordered a powerbomb. I would recommend it.

• Tough Guy

Posted March 18, 2007 - 08:49 AM

I rode mine for the second time yesterday...~35 miles and I am more impressed than I was last weekend! I rode some great single track and some big steep hill climbs, I was only able to run in 3rd on the climb, there wasn't a big run at the bottom though...I was amazed at the power!

This is the perfect bike for me, power, handling and electric start!

Chris

• Thermos O flask

Posted March 18, 2007 - 02:19 PM

i'v been using bridgestone ED12'S and have been getting great wear/life from them.:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.