xr 650 l vs 250X

4 replies to this topic
  • pianoexcellence

Posted March 17, 2007 - 02:17 PM

For double-track fire road ripping (lots of long hills) what is a better option for 50 km-plus rides

Assuming equal rider ability, is a 250x going to walk away from me?

• HawkGT

Posted March 17, 2007 - 04:11 PM

Wow. Talk about two totally different bikes. It's hard to know how to compare them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hondathumper450

Posted March 18, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Do not know about the 250x but did have a CRF450R which I traded for the XR650R I now Own.
The 450 came on with a rush and went through the gears almost as fast as you can switch them. The gearing was very close ratio on the 450R, but the 650R would take it on the start and definatly in the long run and up any hill even without running them side by side. If your wanting the bike for long uphills and fire roads then the 650L in my opinion would be better especially since the 250X needs all that maintneance all the time. The 650L will last longer, run faster and RUN LONGER...oh did I say that already?????
WHy don't you see if you can find a road legal 650R instead?

• rebelventurer

Posted March 18, 2007 - 04:15 PM

Welcome to TT. No comparison, its like which is better for me a boat or jet ski:excuseme:
Some poeple can do things on a L that others can only do on a 250, its one of those things you have to figure out for yourself.
My solution was to have an L that I can dual sport and explore on, and a YZF 250 for aggressive woods, and mx style riding on.
I have been riding for over 30 years and though the L is a great bike, it will do about anything, it wears me out in the woods due to the weight and higher center of gravity! When trying to keep pace with aggressive riders on lighter bikes, forget it. If every one I am riding with is on L models it becomes a mute issue. We are all tired!

• pianoexcellence

Posted March 18, 2007 - 05:59 PM

I find that the 650 (having ridden both) fits my size better...

I'm 6'6 so the height is not an issue.

I know what you mean by the "wearing out in tight trails"

thanks for the replies, here's a question:

Which would win in a drag race? any one ever raced a 250 4 stroke moto before?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.