02WR vs used

5 replies to this topic
  • DrDirt

Posted January 24, 2002 - 04:59 PM

Hey guys,
I recently read in dirt bike that the 02 WR is much improved over the 01 or later models. Anyone have experience with both models? I am currently riding a 97 CR250 and am considering taking the 4-stroke plunge. Thank you for your time.

Dr Dirt

• SoCalWR426

Posted January 24, 2002 - 07:10 PM

Not that I'm Biased or anything. I believe on the YZF side someone had got a new one every season and said they got better each year, but he felt that with the fine tuneing and better brakes and bigger rotor's, bars farther forward, steeper steering angle, few other do-dad's that the 02 model was a lesson in perfection....No Really he did say that!..Or something like that...He also mentioned that the 02 was leaps and bounds above the earlier model's (his word's not mine, so please don't come and burn my house down!)

SoCal

• Woodzi

Posted January 25, 2002 - 07:14 AM

Go ahead and take the plunge. 4 strokes are the way to go.

I went through the same thought process last summer. Buy a leftover 01 at a great price or wait a bit for an 02. I went for the 01. Yamaha has made improvements every year, but most of the changes are to things that you will personalize anyway. I think the biggest changes for 02 are improved suspension and bar position. Unless you are the average person the bike was designed for, you will probably change this stuff anyway, and you can do just as well modifying an older bike to suit you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rwhitlock

Posted January 25, 2002 - 10:49 PM

Hello,

Just thought I would weigh in about buying a new or used 426, and make a shameless plug for my bike :)

I bought mine ('01 426) new and paid over $6000 out the door. Now I need to sell it and am only asking $4500. Big difference in price. I have a YZ seat and tank on it now and the stock WR seat and tank are included. The bike runs great and does not have more than 800 miles on it. I can honestly say you will not find a cleaner bike around. Let me know if any of you are interested. You can see a pic of it at

http://communities.m...Photo&PhotoID=1

Thanks,

Rod

• DrDirt

Posted January 25, 2002 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. I would love a new one but will likely buy used and see what happens in the next few years. (WR450 minus 10-15 pounds sounds sweet)

Hey rwhitlock, I looked at your WR the other night. It is a beautiful bike. My problem is I need to sell the CR250 before I move on. I am working on that as we speak. I hope you sell it soon, if not I will check back with you.

• Steve_Claus

Posted January 26, 2002 - 09:55 AM

Originally posted by DrDirt:
Hey guys,
I recently read in dirt bike that the 02 WR is much improved over the 01 or later models. Anyone have experience with both models? I am currently riding a 97 CR250 and am considering taking the 4-stroke plunge. Thank you for your time.

Dr Dirt

If you decide you want a used 2001 let me know. You can see my signature for all the details on the bike...and it's famous! (it's the one I used to take all of the pictures of the ThumperTalk fender stickers for the website). It has very low hours...since Bryan and I spend *all* of our spare time making ThumperTalk a great place for you guys, we don't have time to ride anymore. Seriously, it's a really nice bike, so send me an email if you're interested...

steve.claus@thumpertalk.com

--Steve

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.