Tire presure?

10 replies to this topic
  • gildnernorth101

Posted March 17, 2007 - 09:43 AM

im 5'11 195 Lbs and im wondering what is a good tire presure for soft terrain with a MH3 at my size.

• Mfinazzo

Posted March 17, 2007 - 10:21 AM

12PSI in the Front 11 to 12PSI in the rear.

• flintlock28

Posted March 17, 2007 - 10:32 AM

Yep, 12 is usually about right...

• yama02yz250f

Posted March 17, 2007 - 10:43 AM

Are te results of low tire pressure pinch flats? if so what are the cons of too high of pressure, less cushioning?

• kx_rider53

Posted March 17, 2007 - 10:51 AM

I run 12 in both.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted March 17, 2007 - 11:33 AM

Are te results of low tire pressure pinch flats? if so what are the cons of too high of pressure, less cushioning?

If you run too soft you can easily pinch the tube and get flats, or bend rims. If you run too much air you will not get the best traction, but that is about it. I run between 12 and 14 depending on the conditions I'm in. If I'm on a track with a lot of square edges and sharp rocks I run 14. In sand and indoor tracks I run 12.

• twenty34

Posted March 17, 2007 - 02:52 PM

im 5'11 195 Lbs and im wondering what is a good tire presure for soft terrain with a MH3 at my size.

I run 14-15psi with Dunlop 756's front and rear. Seems to work just fine. I'm cautious about going any less this this.:applause: :eek:

• buzzgrizz

Posted March 17, 2007 - 03:05 PM

The more pressure you run the less traction you have. 11 to 14 lbs. in most conditions is about right.

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2007 - 03:20 PM

The more pressure you run the less traction you have.

Not entirely true. It applies in a general way, but there's obviously a lower limit to the pressure you can run, for one thing, and there can be circumstances where low pressure isn't the best choice. One is in good traction with hard, high speed corners and a lot of G force. Here, a tire running too low can squirm under the rim, or let the blocks roll onto their sides, reducing traction and making the bike squirrelly. In some other conditions, the soil and tire combination may dictate a firmer tire in order to force the knobs down into the dirt deeper.

On the whole, low pressure is good, but you should experiment, nevertheless.

• twenty34

Posted March 17, 2007 - 03:29 PM

Not entirely true. It applies in a general way, but there's obviously a lower limit to the pressure you can run, for one thing, and there can be circumstances where low pressure isn't the best choice. One is in good traction with hard, high speed corners and a lot of G force. Here, a tire running too low can squirm under the rim, or let the blocks roll onto their sides, reducing traction and making the bike squirrelly. In some other conditions, the soil and tire combination may dictate a firmer tire in order to force the knobs down into the dirt deeper.

On the whole, low pressure is good, but you should experiment, nevertheless.

As usual, this is solid advice and IMO, very accurate.:applause:

• Racer24

Posted March 17, 2007 - 06:33 PM

1. How important is it to check/set the correct tire pressure?

The tires not only provide traction, they are also part of the suspension of the bike. It is very important to check for proper inflation before every ride. It is best to check pressures when tires are cold.

2. Should the front and rear always be set to the same pressure?

No, there are normally small differences we suggest on front and rear pressure. A good baseline pressure for each is 12 psi in the front, and 13 psi in the rear. That will work in most conditions.

3. If the area we're riding in goes through big temperature changes, how often throughout the day should tire pressure be checked?

Air expands when it gets hotter. Think of a hot air balloon. The pressure goes up as the tire is run and gets hotter, or if the tire is sitting in the hot sun.

If the tire is sitting for a while after have ridden, you should check the pressure, and if necessary, set it back to the safe margins of 12 psi front and 13 psi rear. If the bike sits for a few hours or temperature drops significantly it should be set again. This is especially important when racing at night, when it is warm in the day and then cools at night during the heats/main events. The temperature can drop by as much as 20 degrees at times.

4. What pressures do you recommend for common racing conditions, such as hard pack, sand, loamy dirt, etc?

Here's a quick general guideline:

Hard pack: 11.5 psi front, 11 psi rear. This would be for normal supercross-type conditions with no rocks or large square edged bumps.
Intermediate: 12 psi front, 13 psi rear.
Sand/Mud: 12 psi front, 10 psi rear. The lower pressure will help get a bite in the sand and slippery wet conditions. If it is rocky and muddy we would not suggest 10 psi in the rear.

5. Do these recommendations apply to motocross tracks and trail riding, or would they differ?

Motocross is a more controlled environment. It is easier to run lower pressures when there are clearly no rocks or large square edged bumps. For off road we normally suggest a little higher pressure to reduce the chance of a flat.

For off road or trail riding suggested pressure would be 13 psi front, and 13.5-14 psi rear. If it is high speed desert terrain with many rocks we would use up to 18 psi on the rear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.