Best bike for a 70 year old man?

33 replies to this topic
  • jim-in-so-ore

Posted April 01, 2007 - 01:24 PM

I ain't no kid but the two old(er) timers that I ride with have DR 350 Suzukis. One guy is 70 and the other one is 79. The DRs have electric start, are quiet and there should be lots of them for sale. The only drawback is they are tall, but a www.koubalink.com will cure that. Tell him to "Gofor it", now matter what he gets. I hope that I am still healthy enough to be riding at their age.
Jim

• dave the wave

Posted April 01, 2007 - 03:19 PM

check out the yamaha tw 200 low seat height e start big wheel 4 stroke

• kricket

Posted April 01, 2007 - 09:42 PM

If he doesnt want the fat ol tire he could get the xt225. Low seat and e start.

• rolliew

Posted April 02, 2007 - 02:33 PM

crf 250x with a rekluse clutch, i rode with a 67 year old last summer on a poker run , he loves his.

• OLD MAN ON A BIKE

Posted September 03, 2008 - 12:48 PM

Just found this Thread. Old? At 75. Huh! That is my age. I just got home from riding a Honda 125 from Mexico to the tip of Argentina and back to New York.
There is a BLOG at my web site: www.simongandolfi.com

• Gassyphil

Posted September 03, 2008 - 01:09 PM

Just found this Thread. Old? At 75. Huh! That is my age. I just got home from riding a Honda 125 from Mexico to the tip of Argentina and back to New York.

Interesting! :thumbsup:

My neighbor is 71 and rides a KLR650! :worthy:

• Sky Rider

Posted September 05, 2008 - 12:12 PM

You tough son-of-a-bitch, you. Way to go! I've been something of an adventurer all my life, used to guide Aconcagua in Argentina, and Mt. McKinley up in Alaska. Just started dirt biking at 57 on a CRF 230 F. You'll be my inspiration, if you don't mind.

• ORrooster

Posted September 05, 2008 - 12:40 PM

All of you 'more experianced' riders are an inspiration for us young bucks :worthy: ... hope my body holds up for another 50+yrs of riding dirt, street, and anything in between or on either side.

Another vote here for the TW200... fat tires help make up for weaker suspension and if he did neet to haul out some game, it would make the balance/ride a little easier too. Low seat/bike heighth, e-start, street legal :thumbsup: .

I rode one for a couple days, had a good time... would be my first choice as a RV grocery/beer getter... if I already didn't have a Trail 90 to fit that function.

This thread is pretty old though... what was the verdict dirtbeater? What did your old man end up with... if anything?

Also have the CRF230L on the market now.

• dirtbeater

Posted September 05, 2008 - 04:10 PM

No, my brother broke his collar bone and I had a pretty good spill. Dad decided "those things are dangerous" decided to just hunt closer to the truck. O-well I could haul a deer with my KTM :thumbsup: Thanks for all the input though, I am trying to get him on my ttr 125.

• ORrooster

Posted September 05, 2008 - 04:32 PM

Ah, bummer...

On the other hand, I'm not as young as I once was and crashing really hurts a lot more now... so understandable too.

• Gassyphil

Posted September 05, 2008 - 06:20 PM

AMEN! to that! :thumbsup:

• Plushpuppy

Posted September 05, 2008 - 06:45 PM

I HAVE to get that book!!!! I can't wait to read your story Old Man on a Bike!

My sister used to live in Africa, and she said if you were on a motorcycle you were golden, and I've heard that about other countries too. I'd love to travel like that! :thumbsup:

oh yeah, the original question....my grandpa rode a trail 90 into his 70s, and he would shoot snakes heads off with a pistol while he rode(I know...:worthy:). I have an in law who goes exploring on one of those fat wheel bikes someone posted a pic of. He says it's very steady and gets him anywhere he wants to go(he goes by himself).

• OLD MAN ON A BIKE

Posted September 05, 2008 - 11:09 PM

Thanks, Plushpuppy. The book cover is on my web site. Amazon.com should have the book by the end of the month. Amazon.co.uk has it listed now. I have two more trips in mind. One is here in Europe and I'm considering one of those Derbi 125 Adventurers.
Have fun...

• bluesbrother

Posted September 07, 2008 - 07:20 PM

i ride with a 67 year old and he rides a 06 cr500af as a trail bike :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Washougal by portlandcsc

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  37 replies
Forums
Photo
Idaho

Stolen Terrapro! by Vernsker298

ATV/UTV   ATV/UTV Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Anyone near Renton? by Monk

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Wildfire delays opening of the Upper Mad River Seasonal Closure by USFS Entiat OHV

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

MOUNTAIN RIDING by campdirt

• 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.