Best bike for a 70 year old man?

33 replies to this topic
  • dirtbeater

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

Ok, so my dad is old and wants a bike to hunt with. Any suggestions, I was thinking xr 200. He was also wondering if there is anyone who has pulled a trailer with a bike and how. sounds crazy, he is too old for a bike and a bike with a trailer sounds bad, but I had to ask. Any ideas would be great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • washington_rider

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

ya heres a trailer...http://www.trailtail.com/

what type of bike is he looking for? 4 stroke or two stroke matter?

• Owyhee

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

Ok, so my dad is old and wants a bike to hunt with. Any suggestions, I was thinking xr 200. He was also wondering if there is anyone who has pulled a trailer with a bike and how. sounds crazy, he is too old for a bike and a bike with a trailer sounds bad, but I had to ask. Any ideas would be great.

Sounds like he may like a Honda Trail 90. It's auto-clutch, comes with a rear rack, and it's step-though (good for old people with bad backs and knees). Some have hi/lo transmissions. I believe it is also street legal.

"O"

• coffee

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

What is he hunting that he needs to carry out?

estart is nice...

• MantecaMisfit209

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

i suggest a quad but if he really wants a bike then i suggest something with an electric start. maybe a wr250?

• dmthayer

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:20 AM

Sounds like he may like a Honda Trail 90. It's auto-clutch, comes with a rear rack, and it's step-though (good for old people with bad backs and knees). Some have hi/lo transmissions. I believe it is also street legal.

"O"

The 110 Trail was a big improvement over the old 90, but I'd say either one would be great for this purpose. Hi/Lo range tranny, auto clutch, street legal, step-through frame, very manageable power, big old rack over the rear wheel, and a low center of gravity. They are kickstart bikes (I don't beleive they ever came with e-starters), but they start reletively easy. They are more of an offroad/dual-purpose moped than a real dirtbike.

• DuelRule

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:03 AM

Last year I saw a 62yr old guy rideing with his 83yr old pop in Gorman Ca. What an insperation! He was on a lowered CRF 230. Seemed to work great for him. :applause:

• MyFirstThumper

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:58 AM

There is a guy that races with the BC Oldtimers chapter that is 87 he rides a ttr 125

• BlacksCreek

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:28 AM

those fat cat two wheelers are the best deer hunting michines for the mts. they are 200cc

• OregonTrail

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

We have a few guys in their 70's and 80's who race with us. They race the 2 strokes because of easier starting, they also race Old Timers events with modern bikes, I think E start WR's converted to YZ's. :applause: For trail riding the TTR line or CRF230 would be good because of the E start. :eek: Talk to him about a utility quad with racks.

• MACE

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

I hate to say it, but this is a good application for a quad. The main reason is with the quad, you can actually haul out your bag if you gettum.

• tod701

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:27 AM

Last year I saw a 62yr old guy rideing with his 83yr old pop in Gorman Ca. What an insperation! He was on a lowered CRF 230. Seemed to work great for him. :applause:

My Dad is 71 as still occasionally hauls my Grandma (94) into the choice fishing spots on his XT350.

I'd definately recommend something with an e-start. I've got to keep both my Dad's bikes (XR250R and XT350) in perfect tune so he doesn't end up killing himself trying to start the bikes when I am not nearby.

The fat tired bikes are cool for the old and slow action if you can find one in good shape. Didn't some of the Yahamas even come street legal?

• JVT

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:08 PM

I have a yamahaTW200 and a yamaha rhino .I love wide tires.

• Alex 400

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:13 AM

How about a 1996-2005 xr200r. the bikes didn't change over that whole period except for the colors. great bikes. smooth suspension, enough power, and the way i had it tuned would start first kick no matter what. and small motor so it wasen't that hard to kick anyway. good bike.

• deej

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:57 PM

TW 200, low center of gravity, fatty tires and street legal. I have a friend that has one, and its fun to ride and safe. Here is a picture its the closer one.
Posted Image

• MXOldtimer

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

I'll bet at 70 he's seen it and done it so he doesn't care what people think or do, he's looking for function not flash.

How about one of these?
http://www.rokon.com...s/trailbrkr.htm

You can get tow bars, trailers, mow the grass, plow the north forty, hell you name it you can get almost anything for them.:applause:
You can get the optional elect start with the Honda powered ones.

• tod701

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:16 AM

How about one of these?
http://www.rokon.com...s/trailbrkr.htm

There was a Rokon on Craigslist last week.

• dirtbeater

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

He wants to stay away from quads (good man) cause they are too wide for the trails he is looking a ridding. I really don't want him a get a chinese bike, but that is the direction he is looking

• tod701

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:32 AM

I really don't want him a get a chinese bike, but that is the direction he is looking

Make sure he gets one that easy to push.

• KevinMcGrath

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

I would recommend the CRF230 also. Low center of gravity, e-start, easy to ride. I bet he would want something that can be street licensed though, for fiding on FS roads, etc. I'd suggest looking at the Kawi KLX250S too. http://www.kawasaki....ail.aspx?id=206 :bonk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.