2007 shock,Need some info please

5 replies to this topic
  • kyle450rider

Posted March 16, 2007 - 06:37 PM

I just got my suspension back the other day and trying to set my sag on the rear shock is impossible.I cannot get the bottom shock nut to move!We took our measurement and then i started with a hammer and small punch and it turned easily,no problems.About 4 complete turns into it i noticed it became very difficult,which i wasnt surprise as the shock was compressing and would be pushing back.I got about one more complete turn and then couldnt budge it.Well i purchased a spanner wrench and still cannot get the dam thing to turn.My shock nut and lock nut are toast too.I got eager and really tore it up with the punch.:eek: .I can have a new shock nut overnighted but i need to come up with a gameplan for the shock.If i remove the shock from the bike and replace the nut the spanner should work.I can't get any grip on it now because i tore it up with the punch.So with all of that here is my question.Do you think i should take the shock off and replace the nut while the shock is off i could use the spanner wrench and crank the nut way down.By doing this i could place it back on the bike and loosen to the right amount of sag.I have not had this problem before and wanted to run it by some of the people on this board and see if we can come up with any good ideas.It should still be possible to set the sag that way right?I need this baby ready to go by thursday.Please help!:applause:

• motox100

Posted March 16, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Usually all you need to do is grab the spring with you're hands (once the lock nut is loose) and turn it. It will turn the spring nut. You shouldn't need a spanner wrench to turn it.

• Bigcr

Posted March 17, 2007 - 06:35 AM

Take it off and check the threads. They could be galled and that's what would be stopping the nut from turning any more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TRIPLE NICKEL

Posted March 17, 2007 - 07:42 AM

Take it off and check the threads. They could be galled and that's what would be stopping the nut from turning any more.

+1 Best of luck:thumbsup:

• Markopolo400

Posted March 17, 2007 - 12:24 PM

I had the same troubles on my yz400f. (Except I didn't kill the lock rings)

A few squirts of wd-40, and I was in business. :applause:

• kyle450rider

Posted March 17, 2007 - 05:14 PM

I had the same troubles on my yz400f. (Except I didn't kill the lock rings)

A few squirts of wd-40, and I was in business. :applause:

I already tried that.I called the suspension shop today and was told that its possible that while hitting the lock nut i may have bent it just enough that it will not turn on the threads.I'll be ordering a new lock nut from TT and pulling the shock back off and taking it back to him.I have it so close that i'm going to go ahead and ride it next week and then deal with the problem.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.