07 Crf450r Or 07 Yz450f

36 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2007 - 02:06 PM

... the Yamaha motor is kinda lazy feeling.

:applause:

Problem with that?

By contrast to the CRF and the earlier YZ450's, the statement is true. They feel relatively lazy, hitless, dull. OTOH, my '03 is very exiting, but it's not as fast as the dull, boring, hitless '07. It's one of the world's best carried off illusions. It is definitely NOT slow, but compared to some of its peers, it feels like it. The effect is that much less concentration and effort needs to go into it to manage the power, so you can ride harder and faster for longer. It used to be that th eonly way you could do this was to reduce the power. Not so anymore.

In '03, all the mags, and thus most everyone else, said that the Yamaha engine was too aggressive, and should be more like the Honda, which was so much smoother and more controllable. As time went on, Honda changed to become more aggressive, and the YZF sought to emulate the smoother nature of the early Hondas. Yamaha has now perfected the art of building the velvet hammer, and now all the mags are suddenly saying that the Yamaha should be more aggressive, like the Honda. It is to laugh.

• TRIPLE NICKEL

Posted March 19, 2007 - 02:21 PM

My bikes better than yours. No, my bike is better than your bike. :eek:

Just ride what you have and have fun:thumbsup: :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2007 - 02:38 PM

07 Crf450r Or 07 Yz450f

I am undecided which bike to get....

Just ride what you have and have fun:thumbsup: :applause:

I don't think that's operative in this case.

• TRIPLE NICKEL

Posted March 19, 2007 - 03:09 PM

I don't think that's operative in this case.

Sorry:excuseme: I got caught up in the moment:thumbsup: Usually a thread like this turns into a bunch of people talking smack and ends up not being very helpful.

• grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2007 - 03:21 PM

Sorry:excuseme: I got caught up in the moment:thumbsup: Usually a thread like this turns into a bunch of people talking smack and ends up not being very helpful.

I was waiting for you to go that direction with it. :applause:

• live4speed

Posted March 19, 2007 - 03:25 PM

i was in the same boat but with the 06 models... they havent changed much on either bikes, but i went with the yammi (and i was DEAD set on getting the honda), then i read a similar forum to this one here on thumpertalk, did some more research, and made my buy! i love my bike, if i could do it all over again, i would still be sitting on my 06 YZ... its up 2 you, either one is gunna be a blast:thumbsup:

• motoxerc0

Posted March 19, 2007 - 03:31 PM

both r great bikes. its all a prefence issue now. i have ridden both 07 crf n yzf (my dad has the crf n a buddy has the yzf) n i like the feel of the honda more but thats just my opinion. for me the honda is a better bike but there are alot ppl on here that will disagree. i put out better lap times on my dads honda then on my friends yzf. im not saying its a bad bike cuz the engine n suspension r top notch, but i feel i can run the honda better then the yami. im sorry if im being like one of those honda ppl on the yami threads cuz i hate it when there is a bunch of yami guys on the honda threads. whatever both bikes are great just choose a color!! have fun man

• TRIPLE NICKEL

Posted March 19, 2007 - 03:45 PM

i was in the same boat but with the 06 models... they havent changed much on either bikes, but i went with the yammi (and i was DEAD set on getting the honda), then i read a similar forum to this one here on thumpertalk, did some more research, and made my buy! i love my bike, if i could do it all over again, i would still be sitting on my 06 YZ... its up 2 you, either one is gunna be a blast:thumbsup:

both r great bikes. its all a prefence issue now. i have ridden both 07 crf n yzf (my dad has the crf n a buddy has the yzf) n i like the feel of the honda more but thats just my opinion. for me the honda is a better bike but there are alot ppl on here that will disagree. i put out better lap times on my dads honda then on my friends yzf. im not saying its a bad bike cuz the engine n suspension r top notch, but i feel i can run the honda better then the yami. im sorry if im being like one of those honda ppl on the yami threads cuz i hate it when there is a bunch of yami guys on the honda threads. whatever both bikes are great just choose a color!! have fun man

Research/experience/preference= best way to make a decision

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted March 19, 2007 - 04:06 PM

Just a matter of preferance...you go to the Honda 450 forum, they say Honda...you go here they say Yamaha...just ride both and pick whatever one you like.:applause: :eek:

• motoxerc0

Posted March 21, 2007 - 03:49 PM

let us know what u dicided 2 go with

• WB450

Posted March 21, 2007 - 05:06 PM

Problem with that?

By contrast to the CRF and the earlier YZ450's, the statement is true. They feel relatively lazy, hitless, dull. OTOH, my '03 is very exiting, but it's not as fast as the dull, boring, hitless '07. It's one of the world's best carried off illusions. It is definitely NOT slow, but compared to some of its peers, it feels like it. The effect is that much less concentration and effort needs to go into it to manage the power, so you can ride harder and faster for longer. It used to be that th eonly way you could do this was to reduce the power. Not so anymore.

I guess I haven't ridden mine enough for it to feel lazy.

• Whiz-bang

Posted March 22, 2007 - 03:35 PM

IMO you have one decision to make if you are anything less than a top 3 local pro. Do you want to win races by running fast at the beginning of the race or do you want to be the guy that at least maintains and maybe gets faster as the laps click off. If you are not in top top shape you would be better off picking option 2. You ride safer if you can charge hard out of the start and once through the first few corners set into a comfortable pace and develop more speed as the laps click off and you can study the track. What most of us do is charge hard and try to ride hard for as long as we can until we get tired and then we try to maintain a speed that our bodies cannot support and the mistakes start to show themselves. Why is it that most people that ride 450's can get on a 250f and ride faster for a longer period of time? The power is not wearing you out. The summary of all this is the YZ450 is the easiest bike to ride fast for the longest period of time due to the power delivery.

• bryant40

Posted March 22, 2007 - 07:56 PM

I've ridden both and prefer the 'electric like' motor of the YZ's. The Honda and its unicam is brute-like and very thumpy. Sounds romantic, but for mortal riders like us, I prefer the electric, vibration free yamaha. The honda just feels too big and fast.

• Honda28

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:45 PM

I've ridden both and prefer the 'electric like' motor of the YZ's. The Honda and its unicam is brute-like and very thumpy. Sounds romantic, but for mortal riders like us, I prefer the electric, vibration free yamaha. The honda just feels too big and fast.

What are ur + and -'s on the 2... I am leaning more towards the Yami cuz of that fact dat it seems like i will be able to ride it fast for a long period of time where with the honda Ill have to musle the bike around becuz of the brute motor... Is the Low end really that bad ? I mean I constantly am reading post that the low end bogs, it stalls, etc..... thanx for the info ery1 helpin....keep the info rolling.....:bonk:

• Ranger18

Posted March 30, 2007 - 06:50 AM

What are ur + and -'s on the 2... I am leaning more towards the Yami cuz of that fact dat it seems like i will be able to ride it fast for a long period of time where with the honda Ill have to musle the bike around becuz of the brute motor... Is the Low end really that bad ? I mean I constantly am reading post that the low end bogs, it stalls, etc..... thanx for the info ery1 helpin....keep the info rolling.....:naughty:

The low end is not that bad, the problem is that most of us either came from a honda (which had all low end) or an 03-04 yamaha 450f which was all low end. So naturally we all notice the lack in low end. After putting a good exhaust on (MRD, DR. D. 4.1 ext.) you get perfect low end and a bike that pulls like a tractor.
The only people who stall their bikes are the people who haven't figured out how to use a clutch or turn their idle up a little.
And yes their is a little bog issue, which can be sorted out one of 3 ways.
1) Get your jetting dialed in. (this is all i've done, and I have zero bogging)
2) Do the BVB AP mod ( there is a stickey for this)
3) Send your carb to ZIY-TY Racing. For $100 they make your carb race ready, and it adds 1 - 1.5 HP. Again I haven't done this, but the people who have say it's the best $100 they've ever spent.

I'm one of those people who came from a honda, so no I'm not brand loyal, and yes this was the smartest move I've made. The bike turnes great, it isn't rigid and choppy fealing like the honda, it jumps beautifly, and is extremely reliable. The only problem I've had with my bike was a bad gas cap. On a personal note, I think that riding a bike with such a smooth power delivery has made me a better rider because I'm more confertable, there for more confidant, and willng to take it up a notch every time I ride.
Good luck with your decission, either way your going to have a good bike.:bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2007 - 09:20 AM

The low end is not that bad, the problem is that most of us either came from ... an 03-04 yamaha 450f which was all low end.

I wouldn't say that, exactly. My '03 revs like a lunatic on Red Bull. But it does have a transition from low end into the mid range that is, um, rather abrupt (instantaneous, explosive, semi-uncontrollable), doesn't it?

The power of the '06 and 7 YZF's is one of the world's great illusions. They feel flat, but on pavement, side by side with an older model, they're just as quick, and actually stronger on top. It makes them much more usable, IMO.

• AlkalineOne

Posted March 31, 2007 - 11:44 AM

ok so..... i wanted to go riding this weekend with my 06 YZ450F, so i called my buddy up who rides a 06 CRF450. he cant go because his bike is in the shop getting valve work... no joke

the crf's have a serious problem, i'd avoid them if i were you

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.