Checking oil in a XR600

4 replies to this topic
  • hrc1

Posted March 16, 2007 - 01:28 PM

Ok, i know this is a question that has been asked a hundred times, but how do you guys check the oil in your XR600? Mine's a 00' model and i have rotella 5-40 in it. I had almost 3 quarts in it last night and couldn't check it fast enough before it ran back to the motor, and it only showed half full.I drained a quart out today and if i pull it as soon as i kill it it still reads 3/4 full. What's everybodys personal way of checking this? With the recommended 2 quarts i barley show anything on the dipstick...

thanks

• focallength

Posted March 16, 2007 - 02:18 PM

yeah check it about 15 minutes after its cooled down. Other than that the bike should only hold what 1.75 quarts. Its just like a car, pull the dipstick out wipe it off put it back in, pull it out and see where the oil line is. If you put more than two quarts in, stop look down and see where all the oil is pouring out of. Laugh but people have been known to pull the drain plug and then wonder why the engine isnt holding any oil.

If the engine is running you will not get a accurate read because it is being sucked into the motor and swished around! I hope you know this but I just had a thought that maybe your running the engine and trying to check the level. If not dont be offended. Just like the first question IT asks when you call and say your computer isnt running, "is it plugged in?"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted March 16, 2007 - 11:55 PM

I usually just fill the frame res back up until it's nearly topped(should take less than 1.75qt on initial fill). Then I run the bike around the yard easy for 5-10 min, shut it off, put my tools away, then check and fill again as necessary. With this method, the total fill volume is always 1.75-1.8qts. I'm not sure how anyone could fit 3 quarts in there. Don't screw the dipstick in when you check the oil; just set it back in the threads and pull it out again.

• hrc1

Posted March 17, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Trust me, it holds 3 quarts easy... I found if i check the oil anything longer than 2 seconds after i shut if off it drains so fast to the motor it will just keep swallowing it. And for the record the bike, mine at least according to the manual holds 2.0 quarts after a drain or 2.06 after a filter change.

• bork

Posted March 18, 2007 - 05:42 AM

Do not check when running. Cause I beleive it fills up the top frame area & flow back down thru an over flow tube back into sump area. Kinda like a toilet tank will only fill so high, then spills down into overflow tube. So when engine running it will always be same level.(or untill pump runs dry) I thought the manual says not to rev it before checking. Let it idle for 2-3 minutes, shut off & check. Works for me. But three quarts, sounds wrong. (start all over.)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.