Edlebrock needle

4 replies to this topic
  • daddyk

Posted March 16, 2007 - 01:04 PM

I'm having a problem I haven't seen before. I've got a Quicksilver and wanted to go from a 17-e needle to a 19-e needle. Carb works fine with the 17 put in the 19 and the slide won't drop all the way down. It seems to hang up as the needle slides into the brass guide at the bottom. Put the 17 back in no problem fit the 19 again hangs up.Brand new in the box needle from the TT store no damage to it that I can see. Anyone ever have this happen? I'm thinking of trying to polish the needle up to see if that works,but I don't know how sensitive it is.

• Agent2

Posted March 16, 2007 - 03:17 PM

Shot in the dark from a guy full of useless information - try messing with the throttle while putting the needle in?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aokahn

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:05 PM

daddyk,

I recently switched needles and when I went to put the slide back in the carb the needle would not go into the hole. The issue was that the needle "floats" a little and the spring was making it misalign so it would not go into the hole.

I messed with it a bit and then it dropped right in. If this is similar to what you are experiencing, I would recommend taking the needle out and putting the slide back in the carb and installing the needle while the slide is in the carb. That was going to be my next step but it all slide together with no other problems. I can;t think of a reason why that would not work. It is just a bit more cramped.

If you hold the slide with the needle in you can move the needle a bit with your finger. This was movement made mine not fall into the hole.

Hope this helps, just be gentle.

• daddyk

Posted March 16, 2007 - 05:24 PM

I pulled the whole carb out. With just the slide and needle the 17 slides in clean no problem the 19 has some kind of drag it will go in but it needs some force. I took it around the block and it idles at about 2400 I can pull it down to normal with the throttle but it doesn't feel right.I suppose it's possible the needle is bent or mis-manufactured but I can't see it On the positive side it pulls better from mid range up. Gentle? That means the small hammer instead of the big one,right?

• Aokahn

Posted March 16, 2007 - 05:58 PM

Gentle? That means the small hammer instead of the big one,right?

Exactly!

It sounds like your problem was not the same as mine. Sorry. Try a compromise and use the medium hammer.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.