xr600 3rd gear

8 replies to this topic
  • Family Man

Posted March 16, 2007 - 12:06 PM

I have a well used 88 xr600 with a third gear problem. good top end, rebult last spring, jetted and a supertrapp. third is jerky feeling so I havent been riding in it just reving hard in second then double clicking into fourth when needed. now there is a nuetral between 3rd and 4th and it wont let me double click past third, goes to neutral. :eek: I have to rev it then click it a few times for it to go into 4th.givin the cost of repair im leaning twords a new bike, its hard to put more money into the 600r .:applause:

• cleonard

Posted March 16, 2007 - 12:18 PM

Third gear issues are very common in high time 600's. I had to replace both second and third in mine. It's not too bad money wise if you can do the work.

If you keep riding it you risk a catastrophic failure of the gear. That could completely ruin the engine. Since the tranny is bad you will only get minimal $$$ for the bike. If you don't fix it the best way to sell it would be to part it out on ebay. Most of the major parts will sell and I think that you would get a lot more money than if you try and sell it whole.

• randall205

Posted March 16, 2007 - 02:27 PM

My 600 had the same problem. I bought the bike for $300, and I can tell you I wouldn't buy it again if I could do it all over. I have probably close to $1k into it in parts alone becuase when it's apart you start seeing things that aren't necessarily broken, but it would be a good time to replace them. I did save a bundle by purchasing parts thru hondaparts-direct, so if you feel like you want to tackle it I would strongly recommend going to their site and pricing stuff out. I dropped almost $600 in bearings, seals, and other nick nack stuff alone. I actually bought another bike that was missing the top end for the gears. I hate to tell you this, but in reality it's cheaper to buy another running bike than to repair it (at least if you expect to ride it instead of just cobbling it together and dumping it). The good news is that if you rebuild it and do it right, you should have a good dependable bike for quite a while, should being a key word. If you love the XR then fix it, otherwise consider how much money you could put into it versus getting another bike (and you can still sell your XR to some sucker like me to recoup a little bit of the cost). Good luck, try not to screw anyone too bad, especially yourself,
-J

• Family Man

Posted March 16, 2007 - 11:17 PM

I started to go for a ride today, I just put the muffler back on after it fell of yesterday, braaaaappppp. got about 1 mile then the bike stalled after i heard a schwerkkkkkk grinding noise. it wouldnt kick start or bump start after that. good thing it happend so early in my ride and not an 1hr after pinning it through the mountains, that would be one heck of a hike out, with my alpinestars on. i noticed before it quit that I had a heck of a time shifting into fouth from second didnt want to go there. I dont think I want to spend any more cash on the xr600, not really justifiable. I think Im going to go out and get a 450r, yeh haw

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scotty v-squared

Posted March 18, 2007 - 09:05 AM

family man!

like a few others i replaced third gear on my '88, along with a long list of internal parts that just made sense to replace. prob too much into the bike now but in my opinion worth it since now i know it'll last years if i did it right :applause:

if you do end up junking/parting that bike let me know! i'd like to snag a few pieces from you, like the wiring harness -dude that owned it before me rigged it big time-.

scott

• rmhrc630

Posted March 18, 2007 - 06:35 PM

Third gear issues are very common in high time 600's. I had to replace both second and third in mine. It's not too bad money wise if you can do the work.

If you keep riding it you risk a catastrophic failure of the gear. That could completely ruin the engine. Since the tranny is bad you will only get minimal $$$ for the bike. If you don't fix it the best way to sell it would be to part it out on ebay. Most of the major parts will sell and I think that you would get a lot more money than if you try and sell it whole.

what he said:applause: :applause:

XR6s love to rev and most of the time you end up revving the bejesus out of them in 3rd (eg climbing a hill)

The story is the hard facing wears off and so the gears go away.

I wouldl like to know what an oil cooler would do - would it add much in longevity to the gears do you reckon CLeonard?

• j5hunter

Posted March 20, 2007 - 12:50 PM

My 3rd gear in my 87r is starting to slip also. i have been pondering the idea of fixing or not. I just got the electrical worrking good with a new high out put stator from Ricky Stator. How hard is it to change out third gear. My 87 rides better IMO than my friends newer xr400s. The seat is much more comfortable. I agree completely with RMHRC630 in that 3rd is the working gear. I did about 20 miles on my wifes 84 xr250 last sunday and while it was fun I am a biggg guy and need more power.

• beezerjoe

Posted March 20, 2007 - 05:23 PM

If it was mine and I liked the bike I'd fix it as opposed to buying a new one.Then again I'm cheap.Rmhrc630 an oil cooler is always a good idea.It would help engine life abit give you alittle more oil capacity which is good but I doubt it would help the tranny last any longer just because of the amount of abuse they take.Nothing will ever replace good maintainace practices.I just built an 89 XR600 and it's running in the $1200 range,rod,piston some trans gears,clutch the usual when you get a blown up one for nothing.If you can pull the repairs off yourself it saves alot a bucks or if you're tired of it maybe it's time to move on.

• randall205

Posted March 22, 2007 - 02:32 PM

Don't let my previous reply scare you off from repairing it. I'm sinking money into my motor with the knowledge that when it's together it will rip (with a 20 shot of NOS).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.