How to change CS Sprocket on a 650L?

5 replies to this topic
  • uberhada

Posted March 16, 2007 - 11:56 AM

Hi, Im new to the forum, just bought a 2007 XR650L.

Just finished the IMS Blockoff kit, snorkel removal, foam filter, doing the jetting now.

Im getting a factory manual soon, but want to put a 14T sprocket on to hit the dirt this weekend, and want to do it right.

Any have instructions on how to do this?

• frankiewhipit

Posted March 16, 2007 - 12:45 PM

remove the two 10 mm bolts & the plate they're holding on, swap sprockets, loctite the bolts & reassemble :applause:

• cleonard

Posted March 16, 2007 - 01:26 PM

remove the two 10 mm bolts & the plate they're holding on, swap sprockets, loctite the bolts & reassemble :applause:

You may need to readjust the chain slack. Since the 14 is smaller the chain will have a little more slack. I don't remember the spec, but too loose is better than too tight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • uberhada

Posted March 16, 2007 - 09:19 PM

Love this forum :applause:

Thanks guys!

• Jawmail

Posted March 17, 2007 - 04:38 AM

What do the bolts get torqued to. The manual says 7 ft-lb for 6mm bolts ? Doesn't seem like much. The thread measures 6mm across the threads. You will have to adjust the chain, it's quite loose after the swap to 14 teeth.

• cleonard

Posted March 17, 2007 - 05:58 AM

What do the bolts get torqued to. The manual says 7 ft-lb for 6mm bolts ? Doesn't seem like much. The thread measures 6mm across the threads. You will have to adjust the chain, it's quite loose after the swap to 14 teeth.

The 7 to 9 ft-lbs if for a 6mm fastener into aluminum. The sprocket is steel and should be able to stand up to a little higher torque. I don't have my book handy though. This is a good place for loctite as well.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.