Is there a GUIDE for installing Sahara tank on XR650R?

4 replies to this topic
  • Zapp22

Posted March 16, 2007 - 09:48 AM

Gang - i have a new acerbis sahara tank for the BRP and no clue how to put it together. I was surprised that there are no gaskets for those petcocks in the kit???? Am I supposed to make a pair out of inner tubes or what??
the diagram is utterly useless, the parts don't resemble the diagram drawings.

any help, links, etc would be greatly appreciated as I am heading out of town and running short on wrench time

z

• Kenaroo

Posted March 17, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Zapp:

should have been two small o-rings with the fuel valve. you can get some at an auto parts store.

you need to remove the mounting brackets from the old tank and put them on the new. they are the top screw for the rubber strap and the two black plastic and rubber mounts that are underneath.

There are two brackets that support the lower tank. these get mounted to the forward engine mount. loosen the top front motor mount and slide the brackets and position

Posted Image

from there you can mount the tank like the stock unit.

pm me your # if you have any questions..

Ken

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NMike

Posted March 17, 2007 - 02:45 PM

my tank just bolted up in place of the factory tank and the wings on the rads. i didn't have to move anything.

as a side note, the hoses i got with the tank are pure shit. the tee is also very dangerous. after less than a year the plastic started to crack dripping gas on my pipe while out for a long ride. luckily i had some soap in my pack and rubbed it onto the tee slowly the leak greatly. also the clamps are waaaaay too big to seal properly.

get a metal tee, good fuel hoses and clamps.

• atreiou

Posted March 19, 2007 - 01:15 AM

I have that acerbis tank.. but I don't have that bracket..
you scared of too much force on the rads ?

Zapp:

should have been two small o-rings with the fuel valve. you can get some at an auto parts store.

you need to remove the mounting brackets from the old tank and put them on the new. they are the top screw for the rubber strap and the two black plastic and rubber mounts that are underneath.

There are two brackets that support the lower tank. these get mounted to the forward engine mount. loosen the top front motor mount and slide the brackets and position

Posted Image

from there you can mount the tank like the stock unit.

pm me your # if you have any questions..

Ken

• Kenaroo

Posted March 20, 2007 - 08:52 AM

I have that acerbis tank.. but I don't have that bracket..
you scared of too much force on the rads ?

That's a lot of weight on those two plastic mounts underneath the tank.

I think these were added onto later production runs to help support the tank.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.