Street legal?????????

8 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted March 16, 2007 - 05:34 AM

want to put on a 4.7 clarke tank on my pig. is this an issue as far as being dot approved? problem with insurance? live in nevada. thanks.:applause:

• philipstjohn

Posted March 16, 2007 - 10:48 AM

I read a chart awhile back on the federal requirements for motorcycles in all states, and a metal tank was one of them. The wheelies are what will get you, not the plastic tank unless the cop is really uncool. :eek: :applause:

• focallength

Posted March 16, 2007 - 02:26 PM

Well I have a 4.0 plastic on my XR600 and Im in cali. Ive never had any problems. And Ive riden just about everywhere 99.9% of the cops dont even give me a second glance when Im on the street

I dont know the Nevada laws, but as the above author mentioned dont do anything stupid to attract attention and you will pretty much be left alone. I have never been stopped and the only thing street legal on my bike it the tail light (not so sure about that one), head light and the liscense plate.

• HawkGT

Posted March 16, 2007 - 02:52 PM

The metal gas tank thing is a mystery to me. The 50-state street legal Huskys don't have metal tanks. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dave450r

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:09 PM

i have a nevada plated 650r with the stock plastic tank that was inspected and had a saftey done by nevada dmv with no problems never been harassed by the police

• sbenja2003

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:21 PM

No problems in so cal so far after 2 years

• Jman955i

Posted March 16, 2007 - 05:27 PM

I read a chart awhile back on the federal requirements for motorcycles in all states, and a metal tank was one of them. The wheelies are what will get you, not the plastic tank unless the cop is really uncool. :eek: :applause:

That can not be correct. I have a Triumph Sprint ST. and it has a plastic tank that came that way. In fact of the Triumph line, The Sprint's ST and RS and the Tiger all have plastic tanks.

• martinfan30

Posted March 16, 2007 - 10:38 PM

yes, but are they DOT approved?

• cleonard

Posted March 16, 2007 - 10:49 PM

yes, but are they DOT approved?

I am pretty sure that they are not. I believe that the Clarke tanks have a "not for highway use" molded into them.

On any bike that had evaporative emissions testing done on it, it would most likely be illegal to put a non tested tank on it. This will cover any street legal bike and all green sticker bike in California next year.

Like others have said, it is not really too much of a concern. For example, I run non DOT tires on my plated bike, because I do not like any of the DOT tires that I have tried. I consider them unsafe and I would rather get ticket than the greater risk of a crash in the dirt.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.