Thunder Alley is rusting bad Any suggestions

13 replies to this topic
  • XR250_RIDER_14

Posted March 15, 2007 - 05:24 PM

I have a TA pipe and I didnt have it coated before it was sent. Is there anything I can coat it with to prevent it from rusting:cry: ? High temp paint or anything. I would like if possible to prevent it from rusting without getting it ceramic coated. If not what all do I have to do to prepare it for coating? How much $ is it?

I saw some stuff that said pipe coating at a local shop in an aerosol can like wd-40.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:applause:

• Wyatt

Posted March 15, 2007 - 05:48 PM

Treat it just as you would a raw expansion chamber on a two stroke. Spray it with WD40 and wipe it down after you wash it. Thats what I do and I have no problems.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted March 15, 2007 - 06:12 PM

I want to prevent it from rusting all together. Isnt there any kind of clear coat or something I can spray it with?

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted March 15, 2007 - 07:30 PM

Doesn't anyone have any suggestions or what???

• Ga426owner

Posted March 16, 2007 - 06:54 AM

Doesn't anyone have any suggestions or what???

you wont like my suggestion................
get plenty of sandpaper or get it coated......I hate pipes that I have to maintain. :applause:

• ____Kurt____

Posted March 16, 2007 - 07:01 AM

I have a TA pipe and I didnt have it coated before it was sent. Is there anything I can coat it with to prevent it from rusting:cry: ? High temp paint or anything. I would like if possible to prevent it from rusting without getting it ceramic coated. If not what all do I have to do to prepare it for coating? How much $ is it?

I saw some stuff that said pipe coating at a local shop in an aerosol can like wd-40.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:applause:

im assuming your talking about the header? more specifically the first 2-6"s of it? this is normal. if you really mind it then i guess you have alot of work ahead of you:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2007 - 08:28 AM

Treat it just as you would a raw expansion chamber on a two stroke. Spray it with WD40 and wipe it down after you wash it. Thats what I do and I have no problems.

I want to prevent it from rusting all together. Isnt there any kind of clear coat or something I can spray it with?

You didn't like Wyatt's solution? It works. You can also wipe it down with clean motor oil, then run it. Smokes a lot for a while, but puts a kind of low grade oxide finish on the pipe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wyatt

Posted March 16, 2007 - 08:38 AM

Exactly, and if you do this (with wd-40 or oil) it will eventually build a resistance to rusting.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 16, 2007 - 09:40 AM

Probably not a good thing to inhale burning oil vapors either:foul:

• kyle450rider

Posted March 16, 2007 - 11:38 AM

Go get a bottle of that castrol wheel cleaner.It has acid in it and will clean anything.[COLOR="Black"]DO NOT spray it on.[/COLOR]Take your header off and soak it by itself.If any of this cleaner his aluminum on your bike it will Turn it a grayish color and it wont come off.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted March 20, 2007 - 08:44 PM

I bought some of this stuff and hopefully this will work. Anyone ever heard of it? How should I apply it and cure it. I dont have an oven or anything like that. Just run it?

http://www.caswellpl...ht/vhtclear.htm

• TexN343

Posted March 21, 2007 - 11:52 PM

My lil bro used some high temp spray paint that said something about rust-protection and turned his polished 2-stroke pipe black. Still looks nice. Haven't inspected every inch of it but no signs of rust. My header formed some rust after a clay bottom river crossing and I just sanded it off with wd-40.edit also after looking at your link I noticed it said low temp only...probably start smoking bad.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:31 PM

http://vht.carshopin..._id/56253/SP115

This stuff actually works. I went to a riding spot yesterday and probably put 3 hours on my new clear coated thunder alley. The high temp clear coat really works. It is shiny and stays clean. Dirt washes right off. Its slippery, and looks great after its cured. If you have a bare steel pipe, then give this stuff a try. If you use it let your bike run a lot before you take it in the mud, or cure it in an oven if you can. Its sticky at first.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:32 PM

I'll post pictures soon.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.