• toofast2

Posted March 15, 2007 - 03:00 PM

Just curious,I was "Back in the Day",a 2 stroke fan,my ride was a CR500,
how does the CR500 compare to the 450 four stroke's,in HP/Torque,
acceleration?..has there been any comparison between the two?..P.S. this
is my first large "4 stroke" dirt bike,and I was curious.THX ED:ride:

• bluemax250

Posted March 15, 2007 - 03:08 PM

I had a YZ490 and my brother raced open class bikes for many years.
I would say that the peak HP on a two stroke would be higher, but the new 4 strokes get the power to the ground so much better. You can use more of it. A wider torque band.
It seems like my 490 would just spin everywhere.
If it hooked up, though....look out.
In a race to the first turn, I think they would be close.
There is only so much power that you can transmit with a knobby on dirt.

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2007 - 03:57 PM

I owned a '94 CR500 up until I bought my '03, and I ran it against 450's and 426's several times when I had it, so I think I have a pretty good feel for it.

IF you can make it hook up, the 500 will leave the 450 behind in a very authoritative manner. That's infinitely more difficult than most people can imagine, unless, like you, they've been on one.

Let's put it this way, everyone said that the '03 YZ450 was an uncontrollable beast, and all that. Coming off the 500, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

In most real world situations involving open riding the YZ450 will hang right with a CR500. Only at higher speeds with very good traction (a graded road is usually not enough) does the CR have an edge. From a handling standpoint, the CR is at a huge disadvantage, and even on a big outdoor course, the YZ will waltz away from it. Sand is a little different. The 450 is no slouch head to head with knobbies, but with paddles and at speed, well, there's no substitute for raw power.

• NorCal

Posted March 15, 2007 - 04:52 PM

I was at Carnegie not too long ago hitting some really challenging hillclimbs.:applause: There were roughly 5 guys there trying a real technical hill with deep sand. I thought I was the badass out there with my YZ450 making it up the harder routes.... until a reall skilled guy on a CR500 showed up:worthy: It was quite obvious he had the advantage with all that raw power. The 500's definitely have their place. I think it is just limited to desert and hillclimbs.

• tom nolan

Posted March 15, 2007 - 06:27 PM

I raced cr 500's for years in the deserts of socal. I wore out three cr's untill I finely bit the big one. After about a year of recovery i purchased a YZ 400 in 1998. I still have the same bike today and ride it out in the desert at least twice a month. I still enjoy it emencly and would never go back to a two stroke again. Four strokes do take more service to keep them alive but the sensation of running a big 4 stroke wide open is awsome. It nevers lets me down.

• Mfinazzo

Posted March 15, 2007 - 06:29 PM

I had a 86 CR500, what a beast that thing was. I still can't remember why I bought it. Once I got it started it was all I could do to hold on to it. My YZ450 is more controllable hands down.

• bigjohn450

Posted March 15, 2007 - 06:42 PM

i too grew up riding nothing but 500's ive always had kx 500's and they are a fast powerful bike but, once i got my '04 yz 450 i will never go back. i can ride my 450 so much faster the power is almost the same i like the torque of the thumper it always has power. and now i have a '06 and love it even more. my neighbor has a cr 500 AF and when we drag race on a graded road he will walk on me in 4th gear and i can never cath him. and in the dunes the 500's can always climb the hill faster but i dont care once we hit the trails and the woop's c ya im always in front i just like the new chasis much better ill never go back im a thumper fan for life.

• StPeters21

Posted March 15, 2007 - 07:50 PM

500's...there just wrong!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hillclimbguy

Posted March 15, 2007 - 07:51 PM

I also grew up on CR 500s. They do have there place. Tight woods riding is not one of them. My YZ450F is the best of both worlds, tight woods riding and hill climbing and also desert riding. (thats three). One thing is for sure my 450 does handle much better, no matter where I ride!

• NorCal

Posted March 15, 2007 - 08:06 PM

I agree with you guys. My brother is talking about picking up a CR500AF. We are pretty close in skill level. If he gets it, it will be interesting to see who is indeed faster.

• toofast2

Posted March 16, 2007 - 05:02 AM

THanks guys for all the reply's,I had an '84' CR500,bought new,uncrated and
setup myself,back then the crates where made out of wood!..It was the last
of the air cooled motors,and yes it was a BEAST!,not only to ride,but to START!:eek: (by the time I got it to run,I was too tired to ride IT!:lol:
HA,HA,!..it's ashame they don't make them anymore:cry: (maybe with electric start!:applause: )oh well time marches on.:lol: ED

• idahoexcr500

Posted March 16, 2007 - 10:59 AM

Years ago I had 85, 88 and 89 model CR500s. I currently ride an 05 CRF450R. The 500 feels much faster and more powerful than the 450. The 4 stroke is so much easier to ride though while not having the brute power of the 2 stroke. Depends on what you ride, in the sand nothing touches the 500, they are also great fun in the desert. Conversely, they can be a handful in dry, tight conditions. I would love to pick up one now just for a fun bike. The KX500s generally are even more powerful than the CR500s but I dont think they hold up as well. If you find one in good shape go for it!

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted March 16, 2007 - 03:26 PM

I was at Carnegie not too long ago hitting some really challenging hillclimbs.:applause: There were roughly 5 guys there trying a real technical hill with deep sand. I thought I was the badass out there with my YZ450 making it up the harder routes.... until a reall skilled guy on a CR500 showed up:worthy: It was quite obvious he had the advantage with all that raw power. The 500's definitely have their place. I think it is just limited to desert and hillclimbs.

And the sand DUNES!

• Bigcr

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Here's my dune machine. It rules the hills. However, for the track and trails, I'm ridin' my YZ450.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:31 PM

"BFH":

Posted Image

• Bigcr

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:47 PM

Yea baby!!!

• Tornado-Piston

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:52 PM

My bike is pretty much what i want it to be: not needing to go give much throttle to go scary fast. and hopefully out live it because they stopped making them :applause: :eek: :lol:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.