Gearing Question

4 replies to this topic
  • NorCal

Posted March 15, 2007 - 12:11 PM

I really like my gearing on my 2006 YZ450F. The only problem I have with it is I want better top speed; however, I don't want to just swap sprokets. I literally ride tight woods one weekend to high speed desert the next. I am in 5th quite a bit in the desert, and I hate reving the piss out of it to cruise at a decent speed.

The wide ratio tranny is cool, but I like the close ratio gears. Is it possible to swap out 5th gear for a WR 5th? Or do you have to swap out all 5 gears and completely change it from close ratio 5 to a wide ratio 5?

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2007 - 01:37 PM

From info I have from another TT'r, the '07 WR450 trans is interchangeable with the '06+ YZ450. I believe you could do what you're talking about, because many of the components are the same. If the counter shaft and shift fork 3 for the WR is the same, it should work, but the one thing you'll need to check for sure is the fit of the locking lugs on the YZ 3rd pinion into the slots in the WR 5th.

That would be a pretty fat step up from 4th to 5th, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tom nolan

Posted March 15, 2007 - 06:33 PM

I think it would be cheaper to change your front sprocket when you need speed. I run a 15/44 on my 400 and it works bitchen out in the desert, in fact with that gearing, I'm still looking for a sixth gear.

• bigjohn450

Posted March 15, 2007 - 06:49 PM

i would say do the sprocket change also. im in the same boat i think im just going to go one tooth bigger on the front, cheap and pretty easy to change.

• NorCal

Posted March 15, 2007 - 08:03 PM

I think it would be cheaper to change your front sprocket when you need speed. I run a 15/44 on my 400 and it works bitchen out in the desert, in fact with that gearing, I'm still looking for a sixth gear.

i would say do the sprocket change also. im in the same boat i think im just going to go one tooth bigger on the front, cheap and pretty easy to change.

I personally think a close ratio 4 and tall 5th would be awesome. I'll give my mechanic a call and see what he thinks price-wise.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.