Choke plate removal

I'm thinking of removing the spring loaded chokeplate flapper thing from my carb now that I have the carb out, just so I dont have to worry about it breaking off. My question is how hard is the bike to start cold if I were to do this?

I'm going to assume that you have a XR600.

On my bike it wasn't just the flapper that was about to break, it was the whole choke plate. It had a crack that was already half way through. I removed the entire choke including the shaft. If you have a 68 pilot the bike will start OK. I have started it down to about 30F. When it is much below 50 I have to a special procedure. Turn on the gas and lay the bike over. I don't quite put it on the ground. Hold for a couple of seconds and then raise it up. This causes a little flooding. Start it like normal. You only get a few tries then you might need to do the lay down again. I usually only need to do it once.

If you only remove the flapper, I think that there will still be some choke action.

I've heard of others removing choke plate and then use the "tilt my bike over" process to help get it started when cold. I would also like to know what that process is and what side to tilt to.

I put mine down on the kickstand side. I never really though about which side to do. It's just easier since that is the side I always get on from.

I took the flapper out of my XR650R. The choke did seem to loose some effectiveness but I've not had any issues. Coldest I've started my bike has been maybe 40 or 45 degrees (?). It starts ok at those temps.

For much of the year here in AZ I don't use any choke at all.

Sorry for not listing my model. Its a 650r, but have thought about doing this for my 600 also. Thanks for the info

Being you're from Vermont, I would think you would want some sort of choke on cold days. Really not worth the hassel. Just get yourself a one piece chock plate from XR's Only or 1xInternational and you'll be good to go. My bike is jetted spot on, but on some mornings/evenings prefers a little chock if it's cool.

When I bought a choke plate from XR's only I had to grind and sand it to make it fit correctly. Anyone else have to do this or did I just get a badly made one? I wonder if 1xinternationals are like that. They look almost identical on there websites

When I bought a choke plate from XR's only I had to grind and sand it to make it fit correctly. Anyone else have to do this or did I just get a badly made one? I wonder if 1xinternationals are like that. They look almost identical on there websites

I think you're right, they seem to look the same. I have not looked at the 1x plate in a while, but from what I remember it looks like the only difference is the XR's is red anodized. I did not have to sand mine down, but I recall that it was not a perfect fit.

I guess I just wouldn't want to not have a plate in there at all. You never know when you might need it. I ride mostly sea level (desert) and sometimes I could almost kick it over wearing a thong (no not that kind ! :eek:) and other times it works me over before it lights :applause:. First kick of the day, it's just nice to have the option to fiddle with it if needed.

I had to machine mine down to get it to fit properly.....

what happens to these choke plates, do the screws loosen off? Mine has "indents" on the back side of the screws holding the choke plate on which would prevent the screws from loosening. Just wondering what happens and if I should do the same to mine. xr650r btw. thanks

Mine rubbed a bit too, saw which side, and reinstalled while holding it to the other side, sometimes it still rubs a bit.

My XR's Only plate is not red anodized like some of the XR's only plates are, its identical to the 1Xinternational one. You guys with the red plates have to sand them as well? That is some crappy manufacturing if you ask me, you buy it new and have to mod it to get it to fit?? &%$#@!

what happens to these choke plates, do the screws loosen off? Mine has "indents" on the back side of the screws holding the choke plate on which would prevent the screws from loosening. Just wondering what happens and if I should do the same to mine. xr650r btw. thanks

The little spring loaded flapper can come loose and get sucked in. And as cleonard reported, even the primary plate can crack.

This known issue has got to be related to the impressive vacuum signals our big singles generate. Large singles, more than any other engine type I'm aware of, are known for wearing out jet needles and needle jets. This is because of their lowish rpm, high vaccum nature. They sudden stopping and starting of large amounts of air moving through the carb knocks the slide around pretty good. This is what causes the needle and needle jet wear.

I imagine the same forces are at work on the choke plates--constant buffeting by the herky-jerky movement of air through the carb.