01 426 on the street?

2 replies to this topic
  • knotwerk

Posted March 15, 2007 - 04:11 AM

I found an 01 426 for good money on the local craigslist today....I'm thinking of picking it up... but i was looking for a dualsport. this one is tagged but how good is the 426 for street riding? I admit i've done a ton of research on drz's and xr's but i havent really looked into the yz/wr's....

... is this a durable engine for moderate street use, then i can whoop my buddys drz in the woods?

... is it just a bad idea?

Thanks guys
Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2007 - 07:54 AM

One thing you might wonder is, is this a WR, or a YZ? The difference to you is mostly the WR has a significantly wider ratio trans that will allow better cruising speeds while still using realistic off-road gearing.

• SDBSKI

Posted April 02, 2007 - 08:51 AM

It's no XR! But it will smoke them. I have found that Yamaha parts are much cheaper than Honda OEM. If your going to ride on the street at all. Get the WR. YZ gearing is terrible on the street unless you want to tach 8k at 60mph. If it's a good deal, you can put a WR trans in it. If you can't find a used trans, it's an expensive swap to the tune of about $550 for parts.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.