how bad is THIS?

14 replies to this topic
  • slepe67

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:59 PM

So, I was all happy putting on my desert tank tonite, and I looked at the bike at a weird angle. It appears by front end isn't pointing straight forward. When purchased, the PO said that he had just put front wheel bearings in. I am thinking the fork tube is maybe twisted somehow, and was put back together improperly/misaligned. I feel like a dips**t now, as I was getting ready to tear the front axle out and see why my front wheel doesnt spin so well for having fresh bearings. Hmmm. Take a look.

http://i20.photobuck...67/DSC01446.jpg

http://i20.photobuck...67/DSC01447.jpg

The shots are straight on, handlebars are damn near perfectly straight. So now what? String line measurements?

• cleonard

Posted March 14, 2007 - 07:26 PM

It does look strange, but it could just be that the fork tubes twisted in the triple clamps. They can twist form a crash or maybe the clomps are loose. Loosen all 4 places where the triple clamps pinch the forks and align everything as best you can. Then tighten to the correct torque.

The brake may be dragging, if the bearings were bad the wheel would flop around.

• eli366

Posted March 14, 2007 - 08:03 PM

I'm with Cleo, prob just forks twisted in the clamps. I've had that happen while crashing a few times. Straighten them out and go.

• rebelventurer

Posted March 14, 2007 - 08:20 PM

This could be a result of the mission to pergola that you went on a few weeks ago?

• zook350

Posted March 14, 2007 - 09:05 PM

just hold the front tire in between your legs and turn the handle bars the opposite direction.

• slepe67

Posted March 15, 2007 - 08:00 PM

This could be a result of the mission to pergola that you went on a few weeks ago?

DOHHHHHHH! I was thinking the same thing. I remember riding the bike once a ways back and wondering if the front wheel was straight. I HOPE it wasnt from the launch:) :eek: Good catch!

just hold the front tire in between your legs and turn the handle bars the opposite direction.

Like my kids bicycle?:applause:

• slepe67

Posted March 15, 2007 - 08:01 PM

I'm with Cleo, prob just forks twisted in the clamps. I've had that happen while crashing a few times. Straighten them out and go.

Once again, Cleo to the rescue. Thanks you guys. Hey, eli366, I where at in MT you from? I grew up outside Great Falls.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mystubby

Posted March 16, 2007 - 03:30 AM

loosen the bottom triple clamp bolts (leave the top set done up), now sit on the bike, hold the front brake lever then compress (push your weight down on the front) the front end half a dozen times. tighten the bottom triple clamps up again.

• slepe67

Posted March 16, 2007 - 01:44 PM

any sort of measurements or alignment items to take care of? Or does above take care of it?

• focallength

Posted March 16, 2007 - 02:12 PM

looks like your forks are tweaked, find a tree and whack the front end until its straight. You hit the rim on the side that the wheel is bent towards.

• eli366

Posted March 20, 2007 - 07:44 PM

Hey Slep,

I'm up in Glasgow. I came back after years of being away. What prompted you to move south?

• slepe67

Posted March 21, 2007 - 07:25 PM

USAF-Air Force Special Ops. Miss the hell out of MT and her wide open spaces/privacy. by the way, I did all the concrete foundations and footers for the Pamida (Costco) that went up around 9 or 10 years ago. Got to be good friends with the old dude who owned the concrete plant out there.

• eli366

Posted March 22, 2007 - 06:23 PM

USAF-Air Force Special Ops. Miss the hell out of MT and her wide open spaces/privacy. by the way, I did all the concrete foundations and footers for the Pamida (Costco) that went up around 9 or 10 years ago. Got to be good friends with the old dude who owned the concrete plant out there.

Its a pamida, Fosum has the ready mix here. I came back afer a few years in the Army and after finishing my degree. I am glad I did. This is a great place to raise a family.

• wcorbett

Posted March 22, 2007 - 09:20 PM

trust me on this. loosen at least the bottom fork clamps, hold a handle bar and kick (yes its ok) the tire the way it needs to go till its straigh tighten up clamps. happens to me everyfall on everybike.

• slepe67

Posted March 23, 2007 - 05:27 PM

I have heard this from a few people, guess I'll try it out...thx

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.