1983 xr500

3 replies to this topic
  • aaronr

Posted March 14, 2007 - 05:14 PM

I just got an 83 xr500, and I have only one problem. when I start it up, it idles ok with the choke on, I cant give it full throttle, or else it coughs and backfires, the when I turn the choke off, it wont even idle, it just makes this sneeze sound until it dies. when I spray carb cleaner in it, it runs grand, and I feel like I did some good. then when you leave it for a while, and come back, it runs like crap again. I bought new clamps for the carbs, and I patched one hole in the airbox. I really cant figure it out:confused:

• cleonard

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:21 PM

You are going to need to take that carb out and clean it. Sounds like the pilot circuit is blocked. That's why it will not idle. Old gas turns into gel and clogs up the works. Use that carb spray with the little tube and make sure that the jets ans all the passageways inside the carb are clean and flow good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aaronr

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:29 PM

the phillips screws on the bottom are totally stripped out, like the guy I bought it from tried to clean it, and stripped them.:applause:

• cleonard

Posted March 14, 2007 - 07:16 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of old bikes. If you have a Demel tool, use a cutoff disc and cut a slot into the top of the screw. You can then use a straight blade screwdriver in the slot to unscrew the screw. A small vice grip is also worth a try. I have used both methods on these kind of screws.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.