Noisy Engine XR650R

11 replies to this topic
  • Hondathumper450

Posted March 14, 2007 - 03:36 PM

I know this has been busted to death but My XR650R has one noisy engine.
Compression is fantastic, does not burn oil, smoke or leak. Everything is fine and engine rips like nothing else. Just one noisy engine.
Sorry for bringing this up again.

• MindBlower

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Aftermarket bash plate?

• hypersthenos

Posted March 14, 2007 - 11:04 PM

Yes, they are noisy engines. As mentioned, if you have an aftermarket skid plate it will add some really weird harmonic noises as well. I removed mine & located the wear marks where the skid plate contacts the frame. I covered these areas with friction tape & bolted it back on (use anti-seize!) with a big improvement in the noise level. Still a noisy engine though.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 15, 2007 - 04:05 AM

I know this has been busted to death but My XR650R has one noisy engine.
Compression is fantastic, does not burn oil, smoke or leak. Everything is fine and engine rips like nothing else. Just one noisy engine.
Sorry for bringing this up again.

riding buddy has a CRF250X it makes noise too but is very very fast! seems the new water cooled motors are noisy I think as a result of no fins that used to absorb alot of vibes and sound.

• rcnutt

Posted March 15, 2007 - 07:18 AM

ahhh. good point!

• Agent2

Posted March 15, 2007 - 08:16 AM

The noise that sounds like the top end is going to let go at any second? Perfectly normal, When I put an aftermarket pipe on my bike the noise disappeared, go figure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted March 15, 2007 - 09:05 AM

When I first rode my XR650R, I thought there was alot of engine noise, almost like a motor that was worn out, something was not right, loose or about to blow, but I guess this is normal for this engine. My bike rips, and runs very well, and now the noise has become the Purr of the BRP! :applause:

• Hondathumper450

Posted March 15, 2007 - 10:03 AM

When I first rode my XR650R, I thought there was alot of engine noise, almost like a motor that was worn out, something was not right, loose or about to blow, but I guess this is normal for this engine. My bike rips, and runs very well, and now the noise has become the Purr of the BRP! :applause:

Exactly as I have read in the forums. It is just the normal BRP Noise. Maybe someday I will get use to it. no matter if at idle, putting around in the lower gears or getting on it hard. I guess it will just get some getting use to!!!!!
Just the noise still bothers me a bit.

• cleonard

Posted March 15, 2007 - 11:09 AM

It might be noisy, but it is always good to listen for changes. New and different sounds can indicate something loose or internal engine probelms.

Noises don't always come from the engine. The loudest thing on my XR600 is the little heat shield thing on the header pipes. At certain RPMs it vibrates like crazy.

The new "modern" four strokes make even more noise. The pistons have almost no skirt and they have a lot of piston slap. The first time I heard a CRF450 I was amazed at how loud the piston slap was and that bike was brand new.

• Hondathumper450

Posted March 15, 2007 - 11:41 AM

My crf450r was just as loud if not louder as well. glad I traded for the 650 though

• Motosprtman

Posted March 15, 2007 - 01:25 PM

It might be noisy, but it is always good to listen for changes. New and different sounds can indicate something loose or internal engine probelms.

Noises don't always come from the engine. The loudest thing on my XR600 is the little heat shield thing on the header pipes. At certain RPMs it vibrates like crazy.

The new "modern" four strokes make even more noise. The pistons have almost no skirt and they have a lot of piston slap. The first time I heard a CRF450 I was amazed at how loud the piston slap was and that bike was brand new.

piston slap comes for the skirt of the piston - not the crown - which is about all the CRF's have.

• captb

Posted March 15, 2007 - 07:51 PM

It's mostly balancer backlash noise, there's no adjustment so it's there to stay, but not a reliability issue. The metal bash plates will amplify it because the balancer is right up front there.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.