$200 R&D Power Bowl fixes carb bog

39 replies to this topic
  • Yamahafan

Posted March 14, 2007 - 10:58 AM

A new solution to the dreaded FCR carb bog problem???

http://www.randdraci...uct_detail&p=45

MIKE ALESSI #800
My bike runs cleaner around the whole track ...no bog, no hesitation any where. Feels quicker off the start, this will be on my RED BULL Factory KTM bike for the entire East Coast Supercross season.

PROBLEM SOLVER
With the advent of high performance 4 stroke engines, carburetor hesitation is a far too common occurrence. Temporary lack of fuel supply, caused by air pockets finding their way to jet passages, also cavitation in the accelerator pump, can quickly deflate a riders confidence in his machine. The ''R&D POWER BOWL'' is a sure fix for these problems.

JET CHAMBER
During hard landings and high speed impacts, excessive fuel splash currently exists. Splashing coupled with excessive clearance around the production fuel baffle, allows air pockets to reach the main and pilot jet, resulting in an extreme lean condition, commonly known as ''bogging.''

The ''R&D POWER BOWL'' designed with our new ''ZERO TOLERANCE JET CHAMBER'', minimizes existing clearances eliminating the possibility of fuel evacuation around the main and pilot jet area. (no bog)

ACCELERATOR PUMP
Our ''ANTI-CAVITATION'' Accelerator pump is State of the Art, designed with two separate fuel ports. Port one, is positioned at the high point in the fuel chamber, providing a natural path, allowing entrapped air to escape through the leak jet orifice. Port two, is isolated low in the fuel sump area, assuring 'FUEL ONLY' into the venturi.

PUSHING THE ENVELOPE
With all the new advances in the ''R&D POWER BOWL'', we also included an externally adjustable leak jet for fine tunning, it's just a quick and easy hand adjustment. The ball check valve has also been redesigned, relocated at the bottom of the pump cover for a more consistant fuel supply.
The stock steel ball in the check valve has also been replaced with a nylon type for an improve responce time during hard landing and harsh impacts.

*Eliminates hesitation and bogging
*Provides instant response to throttle movements
*Reduces hot engine stalling
*Improves low end performance
*Bolt-on product that requires no modification

''R&D'S POWER BOWL''
THE NEXT BEST THING TO FUEL INJECTION!!

Available for all current 4 Stroke MX machines.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 14, 2007 - 11:41 AM

Another carb bog product.....cool. It must be the year for carb products...:applause:
Looks like a neat product, but I am satisfied with my 100.00 investment in ZipTy.

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2007 - 02:55 PM

IMO: Snake Oil

• Smokeslider

Posted March 14, 2007 - 04:58 PM

Sounds like someone is looking for some commissions?

• Jessthro

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:19 PM

i went with the $79.99 "power shot" shing from R&D and i have no bog at all.

• Yamahafan

Posted March 16, 2007 - 09:04 AM

Sounds like someone is looking for some commissions?

If that were the case, why would I have sent my carb to Zip-Ty?

Since when is more information a bad thing?

Next time you might want to think before you open your mouth and insert foot.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 16, 2007 - 09:44 AM

There is another possible good use for this device....any carb that was a pre leakjet like our 2003 450s that did not have a leakjet in the fuel bowl may benefit from a better tuning of the carb with this device..I do know some 2003 owners that use fuel bowls from 250fs to solve this.....:applause:

• StPeters21

Posted March 16, 2007 - 11:29 AM

Might be a good ash tray???????

• kawirider

Posted March 16, 2007 - 01:13 PM

That is ridiculous. All these aftermarket companies are gradually gouging their prices more and more. I mean seriously, $250 for a float bowl?! &%$#@!! You can get a whole carb for another $100.

I dont see how everybody gets so much bog. I simply got a JD jet kit and a boyesen AP cover and I am fine....and yes I do ride the track a lot.

• Bigcr

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:16 PM

I dont see how everybody gets so much bog. I simply got a JD jet kit and a boyesen AP cover and I am fine....and yes I do ride the track a lot.

I agree. I just jetted mine properly and have had zero bog issues. I think a lot of people freak on the bog it has while in neutral. That's just programming there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:28 PM

I think a lot of people freak on the bog it has while in neutral. That's just programming there.

That, and they seem to want it to be able to tolerate and instantaneous opening of the throttle from idle to WOT at a standstill, as if there's any reason to want it to do that. If it stumbles in an actual riding condition, then you have a problem.

• Wyatt

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:41 PM

I don't have JD jetting kit, an R&D doohickie, a boysen thing, a Zip Ty mod, an Icat, or a new float bowl.

I did take the time to find out what pilot and main my bike likes and tuned the needle using some information I found here regarding a needle profile that Dubach reccomended.

My bike will have a bog if whacked wide open while it is sitting idle. But you know what? I don't care.

There are plenty instances where I exit turns and grab it to the throttle stop. I have NEVER had an instance where my bike bogged so bad that I thought I needed to do anything else with it. I never notice a bog at all while riding.

Maybe I am just old and slow, and don't grab a handful quick enough, but it seems like many of these products are aimed at people who want a bandaid fix for improper tuned bike.

Its your money, if you have it laying around. I would tune my bike and put the $$ toward a Leatt brace if you don't have one.

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2007 - 09:07 PM

Some of the products are aimed at "solving" issues that only exist as unrealistic expectations, or the desire for unnecessary capabilities.

At least one of these, though does something useful and different than the others, and is slightly misunderstood. The Zip-Ty mod is primarily about modifying the main circuit of the carb, and actually increases power by .75 to 1.5 at full throttle, and improves part throttle performance throughout the range. They throw the accelerator pump mod in as a bonus, but that's not really what the mod is about.

If you know another way to get 1.5 hp for $100, by all means go for it. That's cheap power. Plus, I've heard from some of the people who used any one of the other ones who were disappointed with the outcome. Not so the Zip-Ty carb. Everyone so far has though it well worth the money.

• twenty34

Posted March 16, 2007 - 09:27 PM

Not so the Zip-Ty carb. Everyone so far has though it well worth the money.

Amen to that! :applause: :eek: :lol: :lol:

• Ga426owner

Posted March 17, 2007 - 06:28 AM

I don't have JD jetting kit, an R&D doohickie, a boysen thing, a Zip Ty mod, an Icat, or a new float bowl.

I did take the time to find out what pilot and main my bike likes and tuned the needle using some information I found here regarding a needle profile that Dubach reccomended.

My bike will have a bog if whacked wide open while it is sitting idle. But you know what? I don't care.

There are plenty instances where I exit turns and grab it to the throttle stop. I have NEVER had an instance where my bike bogged so bad that I thought I needed to do anything else with it. I never notice a bog at all while riding.

Maybe I am just old and slow, and don't grab a handful quick enough, but it seems like many of these products are aimed at people who want a bandaid fix for improper tuned bike.

Its your money, if you have it laying around. I would tune my bike and put the $$ toward a Leatt brace if you don't have one.

Wyatt I agree with everything you say except the Zipty....it makes the 4stroke so much better ....similar to your 250 2smoke throttle response and with a better power output...the rest are bandaides.....I support the Leatt Brace....they just need to come down in price

D

• R1DEAN

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:19 PM

It is quite entertaining to read all the nay saying, obviously none of you were at the test sessions. My test rider is sponsored by factory Honda, contracted to race their machine all of 2007. After spending weeks trying to resolve the bogs and hesitations, with limited success. He even had the inventor or the quick shot, testing setting after setting. He was ready to turn the bike back in to Honda, the kid was flat afraid to ride it. When attempting to clear doubles and triples, it is mandatory for the engine to maintain full power.

I had been working on the prototype Power Bowl, they ask me to please
attend one of their test sessions and see if my ideas would make any difference. After the first few laps the rider came in, commenting that
I had fixed the problem on the first try.

Personally, I can't ride one of these bikes hard enough to cause any of the
problems I was addressing, but obviously some guy ride at a whole different level, requiring components that most of us probably don't really
need.

Some of you are using the Zip-Ty carb mod. have good results,
FYI, Ty Davis is using the R&D Power Bowl on his bike and all his team
bikes.

I am a doubting Thomas just like most of you, it is nice to know that
all things are not just snake oil, some actually deliver on their promise.

• rexbond007

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:28 PM

i'm happy with Baron von beards ap mod. price $0.00

http://www.thumperta...light=von beard

mod page :http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=374181

• R1DEAN

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:51 PM

That is curtainly one of the necessary changes, but will by no means
resolve all the other carb problems, I am so glad that I did not safty wire that linkage detent at first. It is deceptive, fooling you into thinking that all the bog problems are resolved. It is absolutly not the case.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 01, 2007 - 05:01 AM

I would buy your product Dean no problem.....my ZipTy mod rid my 06 of the bog as well as some new found lowend snap. Your product would add ability to adj LJ which I like although. I understand and see the benefit in bikes that have leakjets. What is the other benefit in a FCR with a LJ?

More important for me, let me ask you this....in a 2003 YZF450 w/o any leakjet. Would the powerbowl benefit a bike with FCR that currently has no leakjet? How?

Maybe some basic info also for the naysayers here that still see this as snakeoil........

• R1DEAN

Posted August 01, 2007 - 07:29 AM

I would buy your product Dean no problem.....my ZipTy mod rid my 06 of the bog as well as some new found lowend snap. Your product would add ability to adj LJ which I like although. I understand and see the benefit in bikes that have leakjets. What is the other benefit in a FCR with a LJ?

More important for me, let me ask you this....in a 2003 YZF450 w/o any leakjet. Would the powerbowl benefit a bike with FCR that currently has no leakjet? How?

Maybe some basic info also for the naysayers here that still see this as snakeoil........

The problem with the current accelerator pump design is air entrapment. Whoever though no leak jet is a good idea, has no idea what is actually going on inside the fuel pump chamber.
Fuel in the float bowl, being tossed around from bumps and jumps, not to mention vibration turns into a froth. The accelerator pump located below the float bowl, receives all its fuel supply from this frothy mix of air and gas, because the pump chamber is not design to expel the entrapped air pocket that naturally accumulates, a dampened pulse is produced, similar to air in the brake lines. We all know how well hydraulic brakes work with air in the lines. The stock pump chamber has one fuel outlet hole located low in the pump chambers vertical wall, air having a tendency to rise to the top of the fuel chamber, has a difficult time being expelled. The stock pump chamber actually splits the fuel outlet hole into two holes, this is another point of concern, the air pocket will eventually build to the point that it is partially expelled, now just imagine for a moment, the outlet hole is slit into two holes, the expelled air has two ways to go, one way is back to the float bowl through the leak jet orifice, no problem, the other way is right through the brass nozzle into the venturi. The brass nozzle is a fuel ONLY device not an air nozzle, belching air through this nozzle will cause a severe bog.
My thinking was to reposition a hole at the highest point in the pump chamber, this would expel the entrapped air pocket much more efficiently, than I relocated the fuel outlet hole low in the pump chamber vertical wall, insuring that is remains a fuel only port. Now every time the pump diaphragm is activated, it automatically purges the air bubble out the top hole and back to the float bowl, now the brass fuel nozzle can remain a fuel only orifice.
That is a brief overview of my fuel pump design, the pump is only one of the five improvement built into the R&D Power Bowl.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.