acerbis Sahara rally fairing

16 replies to this topic
  • Kenaroo

Posted March 14, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Just wanted to post the design I'm working on for a rally fairing that will mate with the Acerbis 6 gallon sahara tank for the XR650R.

at the present time, the molds are being machined and I'll have a prototype done in a few(or more) weeks. from there I'm be figuring out the mounting brackets.

I'm planing to make multiple units so if your interested in one, send me a pm

Posted Image

Posted Image

• jesusgatos

Posted March 14, 2007 - 11:57 AM

That will be awesome for longer trips. What program are you designing that in and how did you model the Acerbis tank where it will meet up with the fairing? Oh, and machining the molds? Why didn't you just hand-form a prototype to make a mold from? Just curious.

• LeadDoggy

Posted March 14, 2007 - 12:01 PM

??? how much $$$

• Kenaroo

Posted March 15, 2007 - 10:32 AM

??? how much $$$

We have cad (pro E and others) and a flat be router. it's just much faster to design on the computer, route out a mold, make prototypes and make changes these days. Plus, I'm not that good of a sculptor and I want it to look nice.

we don't have an exact price at the moment. We are trying to keep the price below $350us for the fairing. Not sure how much the mounting bracket will be. we are still designing the unit. Were going to make a basic unit and one that will hold all the navigation equipment for rallying.

Overall we would like the price unit to be between $500- $800.00 US

the only other fairing option is the African Queens rally fairing that cost over 1500 euro. which puts it over $2400us after they ship it here to the USA..

That is why I'm doing this. I want a relatively inexpensive adventure/rally fairing for my Dual sporting ventures on the BRP.

• JackAttack

Posted March 15, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Sweet!

I am very interested.

Please continue to post your progress or PM me. I am considering doing 2009 Dakar on a XR650R and am starting my search for equipment and parts.

I am willing to test any proto-type you may have to offer.

• Truth Teller

Posted March 15, 2007 - 08:18 PM

...Were going to make a basic unit and one that will hold all the navigation equipment for rallying.

Charlie Rauseo of Team Rally Panam and http://www.RallyManagementServices.com might be interested in knowing of this since he's somewhat in the business of helping people setup bikes for and race in Dakar. He might want to offer your stuff to potential customers as he does for the MecaSystem stuff.

Looks cool so far! Will it be plastic or fiberglass?

• Kenaroo

Posted March 16, 2007 - 07:44 AM

I haven't talked to charlie yet. but I'll touch base to get his thoughts.

The production # will be small so were going to fab them out of fiberglass.

If I started this project 6 years ago.. I would have done a spin mold and produce 300 of these.

but since this will be the last year of the new XR650 production, I'd think there will only be a few riders interested.

the first production run will be around 20 units or so

• JMo

Posted March 31, 2007 - 01:12 PM

Woo hoo! Now that is what I'm looking for!

I've seen the African Queens one and was about to order one - but I'm really likeing your ideas - I presume it will have twin vertical headlights like the Meca System design?

I'd be very interested in buying one too, especially at the sort of price you are talking about... although I am in the UK, I'll be coming over to the US soon (hopefully to buy my XR650R) - so please keep me in the loop (I'll PM you too).

When do you think you'll have the production ones ready for sale?

JennyMo

xxx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kenaroo

Posted April 01, 2007 - 11:50 AM

I'm hoping the production fairing will be ready in July. we have about 20 to 30 interested parties so we will be doing a run of those #.

Lights will be hella 90 mm halogens spot and wide with a machined aluminum mounting bracket

right now the entire kit is looking to be under $1000 us. but you will be able to purchase the fairing separtate for other applications.

I have more pictures etc and info posted over here
http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=196917

I will start taking pre orders as soon as I get the proto finished final mold is complete.

so stay tuned.

Woo hoo! Now that is what I'm looking for!

I've seen the African Queens one and was about to order one - but I'm really likeing your ideas - I presume it will have twin vertical headlights like the Meca System design?

I'd be very interested in buying one too, especially at the sort of price you are talking about... although I am in the UK, I'll be coming over to the US soon (hopefully to buy my XR650R) - so please keep me in the loop (I'll PM you too).

When do you think you'll have the production ones ready for sale?

JennyMo

xxx

• Kenaroo

Posted April 15, 2007 - 09:43 AM

Here's an update on the project.. got the fairing mocked up today.. Need to trim and make final tweaks but she's getting real close.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• NMike

Posted April 15, 2007 - 03:29 PM

love to get one, but i have no budget skills to save for it...:thumbsup:

• Kenaroo

Posted May 18, 2007 - 03:24 PM

Took the prototype over to the fiberglass fabricatior for the production mold and these units should be ready to ship by end of june.

I'm taking pre orders for any who are interested.

http://www.advrider....182#post4630182

• Kenaroo

Posted June 14, 2007 - 01:20 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

• drop

Posted June 14, 2007 - 01:28 PM

That's so trick. I know I'm going to end up with the Acerbis Tank/Kenaroo fairing combo one day soon.

• Kenaroo

Posted April 16, 2015 - 04:34 AM

IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG

8 years later and here is the final and last version of the fairing..  

• rboe

Posted April 16, 2015 - 07:47 PM

So, is it on the market now?

• ScottRNelson

Posted April 17, 2015 - 02:25 PM

Is there much buffeting at the helmet with that on there?

That's the biggest complaint I have with my KTM 990 Adv, which has a similarly shaped windscreen.  Way too much dirty air right at the helmet level.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.