This has helped my fork seals

4 replies to this topic
  • 700MX

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:10 AM

Dont forget to spend EXTRA time aligning your forks. a few taps with a hammer on the end of your axle is all is takes to cause a problem. mushrooming out the end of the axle wont let the fork leg slide back and forth to find the sweet spot before tightening, even if you think you have it right.

mis aligned forks put offset stress on the seal.....making it very prone to leaking.

I ground the end of my axle so it slid through my fork leg (with a screwdriver spreading it even more) like butter, and was suprised at how different the proper alignment was than from the dealer, or where i had it in the past.

I seem to have an improved seal kill rate now....

try this.....you may be suprised at how far off your axle/fork alignment has been

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2007 - 07:49 AM

Stock seals? Sounds like there's too much clearance in the fork bushings, and/or not enough meat to the seal lip to let the seal "cover" the play. You could be on to something. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted March 14, 2007 - 08:12 AM

Stock seals? Sounds like there's too much clearance in the fork bushings, and/or not enough meat to the seal lip to let the seal "cover" the play. You could be on to something. :applause:

You know, I've got over 75 hours on my stock seals and follow the fork alignment in the manual when I set the axle........wonder if that's part of my success? Yes, yes, yes, I am in dire need of fork service and what not, but when the suspension works as good as it does, it's hard to mess with it!!

:eek:

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 14, 2007 - 08:32 AM

You know, I've got over 75 hours on my stock seals and follow the fork alignment in the manual when I set the axle........wonder if that's part of my success? Yes, yes, yes, I am in dire need of fork service and what not, but when the suspension works as good as it does, it's hard to mess with it!!

:applause:

Yeah, I got 100 out of my old bike, and I had no problem running them longer.

Cleaning them is very important as well. I would clean mine every other ride, or after a muddy ride.

• Climber

Posted March 14, 2007 - 09:32 AM

On an 05...I had no problems until I swapped real bad on an 80' table top. The only damage was torn grip, skid marks on both shoulder blades, concussion, and a leaky fork seal.

I fought it until I finally replaced it and the problem was solved. Thought that I might of bent or scratched a fork leg, but didn't. When I took it apart I did noticed that there was a bunch of dirt packed up under the dust seal. I tried the film trick, to clean it out, with no success. Note, that it wouldn't leak on the stand. Only when "somewhat" compressed.

No problems since, that I know of (sold the bike). I think that the dust seal needs a lot of attention to make sure that it protects the oil seal. When it fails, I think, the oil seal will fail, soon.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.