2002 WR426 Street Legal in WA?

5 replies to this topic
  • 07thommi

Posted March 13, 2007 - 08:34 PM

I want to make my WR426 street legal to ride in the summer to save gas but I hear keep hearing that it is almost impossible in WA :lol: Some people say to sign the title over to a friend in ID or OR and get it street legal then bring it back to WA, but again I have heard that WA is cracking down on this :lol:

Is it possible to get it a plate?:lol:
If so how?:eek:
What is the process? (send to ID or OR)

I dont want to spend any money on a dual sport kit if I can't even get the bike street legal. Any help would be greatly appreciated :applause:

• yamaslamma

Posted March 14, 2007 - 07:50 AM

1st you have to by a baja kit from Bajadesigns.com
2nd. Make it street legal.
3rd. you will have to title it out of state in id or oregon. Which for me means sell it to a buddy have him transfer title and all that then he sells it back to me.
4th. Try to retitle machine back in Wa.

Remember, you will have to pay excise tax in both states and that can add up. Wa is 9% of value and the state will give it a value for you and if it's under that value on the bill of sale.

$5,000 bike in Wa will cost you $450 in excise tax alone
Idaho it will cost you at least half of that.

Add every thing I've talked about an liscensing and you can get to $1,300 easily!!

I have finally started to realize it's just not worth it.:applause:

• 07thommi

Posted March 14, 2007 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the info. So much for dual sporting an extra bike and saving money on gas.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SPLATT

Posted March 14, 2007 - 11:34 AM

You're almost better off buying a bike out of state that is already licensed. It sucks that in this state you can build a kit car/motorcycle and get a plate but you can't make a dirt bike street legal and plate it.

Steve

• Humunn

Posted March 14, 2007 - 01:03 PM

1st you have to by a baja kit from Bajadesigns.com
2nd. Make it street legal.
3rd. you will have to title it out of state in id or oregon. Which for me means sell it to a buddy have him transfer title and all that then he sells it back to me.
4th. Try to retitle machine back in Wa.

Remember, you will have to pay excise tax in both states and that can add up. Wa is 9% of value and the state will give it a value for you and if it's under that value on the bill of sale.

$5,000 bike in Wa will cost you $450 in excise tax alone
Idaho it will cost you at least half of that.

Add every thing I've talked about an liscensing and you can get to $1,300 easily!!

I have finally started to realize it's just not worth it.:applause:

This described my understanding of the process until a couple days ago. Run a search on recent posts same subject that I've responded to. According to one TTer who sounds like he is in the know this route no longer works. Just double check before you proceed.
Greg

• 07thommi

Posted March 14, 2007 - 01:34 PM

This described my understanding of the process until a couple days ago. Run a search on recent posts same subject that I've responded to. According to one TTer who sounds like he is in the know this route no longer works. Just double check before you proceed.
Greg

Yeah that is what I am afraid of.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.