accelerator pump timing screw

8 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:17 PM

Has any one tried just turning the timing screw 1 full turn clockwise from stock setting? I did today and it seemed to really improve the throttle response on my 05 yz450f.:applause:

• YZF_MXracer71

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:00 PM

i have a 2005 yz450f and i put a boysen quickshot on it and didnt know a lot of diff mabe thats what i need to do, is adj my screw.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:15 PM

Initial AP timing will make a difference when set correctly but not every bike will be the same.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:53 PM

well if you turn it in clockwise 1 turn like i did is that the right direction for quicker throttle response von beard? And the reason I did not do the wiring mod on it today was the bike shop did'nt have the size #65 or 70 leak jet on hand so I decided to wait until I got the leak jets to do it. Remeber me I pm,ed you last night about the mod!!!! and 1 other thing beard..... I was wandering? at wide open throttle on my 06 yz450f am i suppose to have a gap after I turn the timing screw to where it is just barely hanging on?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted March 13, 2007 - 10:06 PM

well if you turn it in clockwise 1 turn like i did is that the right direction for quicker throttle response von beard? And the reason I did not do the wiring mod on it today was the bike shop did'nt have the size #65 or 70 leak jet on hand so I decided to wait until I got the leak jets to do it. Remeber me I pm,ed you last night about the mod!!!! and 1 other thing beard..... I was wandering? at wide open throttle on my 06 yz450f am i suppose to have a gap after I turn the timing screw to where it is just barely hanging on?

You need to set the initial AP timing to just miss the slide. Counterclockwise on the screw is earlier, clockwise is later.

As far as the gap goes, you don't want any gap between the black link lever and the screw at WOT AFTER the timing is set. If there is a gap, you need to shorten your rivet if you are going to wire it up.

Do you have an 05 or 06? The first post says 05 but your last post says 06.

• mmarker469

Posted March 14, 2007 - 07:37 AM

Baron, How do you set the AP Timing? While the bikes running or while it is off? Can you give me the steps to do this?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hey beard! its a 06 yz450f!.... so you are saying if I just turn my ap timing screw counterclockwise 1 full turn from stock it will give me a quicker throttle response?

• Baron Von Beard

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:39 PM

Setting the AP timing in a nutshell:
1. Remove carb from bike, but leave throttle attached and fuel in the bowl.
2. Turn AP timing screw all the way in until lightly seated and record numer of turns (be exact)
3. Turn screw all the way out
4. Give the throttle a quick twist and see if the bottom right hand corner of the slide has any wet spots. If it does, dry it off, turn the screw in (clockwise) 1/8 turn and try again. Continue until the slide no longer has any wet marks. Do not go more than 1/8 turn at a time, it's very sensitive.

This will get you the earliest squirt possible without wasting fuel by getting it on the slide.

• Dart 400F

Posted March 15, 2007 - 09:43 AM

I have a 99' YZ400. I installed the Boyseen Quickshot and the directions called for turning the timing screw out (counter) but I could not find the timing screw? Any ideas? Is there even one on the 99' 400?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.