every thing DC, does the frame become ground?

8 replies to this topic
  • ZEHR

Posted March 13, 2007 - 04:31 PM

If I do the mod with the stator, explained at BD, and use a universal 200 watt regulator/ rectifier will i use the frame for a ground, or will i have to keep the ground isolated. Plus with stock wiring on the WR450f, which circuit uses the frame as a ground the AC or DC circuit. thanks?

• dmoney1074

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:02 PM

I think DC runs the ground to the - battery terminal (float)... AC runs it to the frame... I think. If you have a wr450 its a DC lighting system (battery) and i think the ground is already running to the - terminal on your battery... but don't quote me.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 14, 2007 - 04:47 AM

The stock battery minus post should be grounded with a heavy cable to the motor.:applause:

• OneToGo

Posted March 14, 2007 - 04:54 AM

AC is not grounded!! can you imagine earthing your house mains?
DC has frame/engine as earth!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sts475

Posted March 14, 2007 - 07:08 AM

Yes indeed !

The motor, frame and all electrical grounds should be tied together. Ground connection should be clean and tight. Electrical systems on bikes are parallel systems and the grounds should be common.

Good luck !

STS.

• ZEHR

Posted March 14, 2007 - 01:47 PM

well i'am still a little leary on this, because I bought the bike with an aftermarket lighting kit, and it is all runing off ac, and my control switch for the blinkers ect is grounded to the control switch body, which would gorund to the handlebars so it's grounded to the frame, please help. the kit is a "YRD" I've never heard of it, have you? thanks

• OneToGo

Posted March 18, 2007 - 04:36 AM

PLEAS check again your wiring.
Headlight and tail light are AC with OEM wiring.
Indicators normally run off DC, they would not work off AC??
Tail brake are also DC OEM.
Check again - use a multimeter then get back to us.

• sts475

Posted March 21, 2007 - 08:18 AM

I think that all japanese off road (and most others for that matter) are all DC powered. They use an alternator that produces AC voltage that is converted by a diode trio rectifier to dc voltage. The systems are all parallel, which means the grounds and the power wires are all sourced from the same places. all of the power wires are common to the power source positive and all of the grounds are common to the power source ground.( Most of the time it's the battery.) Which means that all of the electrical components should have the same amount of voltage and the grounds should all be on the same circuit and read little if any voltage. There are exceptions to this but this applies to 99 percent of the electrics going on with motorcycles today. Just make sure that you don't cross any of them.

Good Luck !

STS.

PLEAS check again your wiring.
Headlight and tail light are AC with OEM wiring.
Indicators normally run off DC, they would not work off AC??
Tail brake are also DC OEM.
Check again - use a multimeter then get back to us.

• ZEHR

Posted March 21, 2007 - 01:09 PM

well, i checked it out and ended up just doing the stator mod got a reg/rec 200 watt and tapped every thing off the battery it all workks great thanks for the help

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.