Help, Dealer is quoting 3 hours for a valve adjust

4 replies to this topic
  • unkle_george

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:00 PM

...and I know it's a half hour job. :applause:
I've done it several times myself, it's really not that hard.

I took just the head in to them a year ago to replace all of the valves and seats. That was the only part of the rebuild I was unsure of and wanted done right. Well, they didn't put a valve in right and it started hard from then on. More on that mistake later, but first:

How long should it take to
shim 1 valve and put the cam back in 30m
check for compression 10m
pull the head 30m
replace all 3 intake valves 1 hr
put it all back together 1 hr

That's how long I think it would take if I did it. Does that sound about right? ~3 hours to replace the intake valves?

• specialk6r

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:45 PM

That's about how long it takes me, but I make sure everything is clean before turning any wrenches. I don't want even a single grain of sand to fall off the frame or wiring harness into the engine. Whenever someone says a job takes 15 minutes, it's usually a couple hours for me. But I like to take my time because it seems anytime I rush a job, things go wrong and I get frustrated and it ends up taking the same amount of time anyway.

Anyhow, if you've done it before in 30 minutes, why not just do it again yourself?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • unkle_george

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:59 PM

I had the Dealer put in new intake valves and something didn't go right and I've been adjusting them left and right for the last year and it still starts hard. I didn't want to bring them another 'head in a box' and go through that again ,so I took them the whole bike so they could replace the valves.

I did some searching here and I see the going price for a valve adjust should be $65 - $100 + whatever we settle on for them fixing their incorrectly installed valve. I just hope to get my bike back without having to give up my firstborn.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted March 13, 2007 - 01:24 PM

May I ask where you took it to?

• unkle_george

Posted March 13, 2007 - 01:52 PM

I don't want to flame them online before giving them a chance to make it right. They've been good to me before and I just want to make sure I have all my info straight before going back to get the bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.