License plate bracket for 2007 WR450F?

25 replies to this topic
  • SurfaceToAir

Posted March 30, 2015 - 10:14 PM

Factory look, uses stock taillight.

bracket256_zps665f7c4a.jpg

I have mine mounted in a similar way.  Bolted and glued to the underside of the light. Mine is not flat though where the plate seats, but has a bend in the middle since its all one piece of steel I cut and bent to attach to the light, which is bent on the bottom.  Didnt take long to make, and I already had the metal...

Issue though is that I've bent the < bad words > out of the plate when I crash.  I am going to remount the plate to the backside of the air box.  I see people do it and figure I'd try it out until the MAN makes me change it.. If that happens, I'll go back to this mount, but flip the plate 90 degrees so it doesnt catch on the sides.

• SmackIt

Posted April 02, 2015 - 02:49 PM

There's a good post here using Kydex. I made this one.

IMG_2376.jpg

• ThumpMe

Posted April 04, 2015 - 11:05 AM

My '07 came with a Ryco. I did not know what it was and had even searched for a similar license mount about six months back but failed to find one. NOW that I know the brand I can tell a buddy who also wanted to know what make it is .....THANKS!

That Kydex material looks interesting....I have never seen or worked with it. Will be interesting to see how it holds up. Have tried several plastics over the years and most give up pretty easily.

I made a Teflon backing plate as I had some sitting around and have found without a backing plate these thumpers tend to crack the plates horizontally right at the upper bolt mounts. Between my first two blue bikes I have lost three plates so far. Last one even had a backing plate.  Backing plates help but they can crack as well. I like plastic/rubber style ones as they are not as prone to slice and dice you in a get off, but hard to get something that will stand up to the abuse. Will see how this Teflon works but it is a pretty pricey material.

About two weeks back we did some spirited riding with quite a few G outs. I found out the Ryco WILL allow the rear tire to get hold of the license and bracket. SO much for my nice straight plate and fancy backing plate.

I built another bracket about four inches wide but with an additional 25 degrees of tilt and added that to the Ryco to try and prevent this from happening again......hopefully that should do it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sledhead999

Posted April 06, 2015 - 09:01 AM

I know this has been discussed before........but can the factory '07 tail light be used with the rear brake light switch?  Links???

I'd rather use the factory light than the Tusk one and make my own license plate holder...

• SmackIt

Posted April 06, 2015 - 10:47 AM

I know this has been discussed before........but can the factory '07 tail light be used with the rear brake light switch?

Yes, it can. I did it last night using the Tusk harness. There are 3 wires in the light. 1 ground, 1 running. 1 brake.

• Derwud

Posted April 06, 2015 - 10:55 AM

I know this has been discussed before........but can the factory '07 tail light be used with the rear brake light switch?  Links???

I'd rather use the factory light than the Tusk one and make my own license plate holder...On 

On the light side of the connector has 3 wires, the harness side has only 2 wires, Add your brake light feed wire to the harness side of the connector and Boom, brake lights... 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.