DRZ Chain

13 replies to this topic
  • djrowe

Posted March 13, 2007 - 03:28 AM

Hi guys - just got an '05 DRZ400s to replace my '03 XR250R and thought I'd pose a question. I'm thinking of swapping the 15t cs sprocket on my DRZ for a 14t just to give a bit more low-mid range zip. While I was at it I thought I'd take the chain off and give it a clean. Checking the owner manual it mentions that the chain is an 'endless' type with no master link and should be removed only by removing the swing-arm and should only be done by a Suzuki dealer. Can this be for real ? It also says not to replace with a master-link type chain ? I find this hard to believe - I assume most people have probably removed the chain using a breaking tool and installed a master-link ?
Any comments/opinions ?

Cheers

Dave

• William1

Posted March 13, 2007 - 04:48 AM

You can cut the chain.
You can use a properly installed master link.

Clean the chain with kerosene.

• Regalman

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:05 AM

Many bikes come from the factory with an 'endless chain'... If it were me, I wouldn't break it just to clean it. A master link is just one more thing that can go wrong in middle of nowhere. [when installed properly, it shouldn't, but you never know]

• William1

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:21 AM

On a small bike like the DRZ, the endless chain not needed due to power output. It is a more secure chain per Regal's comment. I suspect it is that reason and the fact it is $.12 cheaper to buy and one less step in the assembly process.

• Regalman

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:25 AM

the fact it is $.12 cheaper to buy and one less step in the assembly process.

...and probably one less liability. If the robot didn't get the master link on correctly and someone dies as a result Suzuki would get thier pants sued off.

• MotoChris521

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:28 AM

Why do you need to clean the chain ? The stocker is an O ring. Lubing the outside and wiping it down with a shop towel isn't enough ?

• kman780

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:16 AM

Many bikes come from the factory with an 'endless chain'... If it were me, I wouldn't break it just to clean it. A master link is just one more thing that can go wrong in middle of nowhere. [when installed properly, it shouldn't, but you never know]

That explains why I looked for 20 minutes for my master link and couldn't find it.... :applause:

• GuyGraham

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:46 AM

Rivet link is available as an OEM spare from your local suzuki dealer, for the std chain

in the UK it is £8

• Motomike1

Posted April 06, 2008 - 03:12 PM

how do you make the chain shorter without breaking it??? I want my chain, just shorter so i can put on a smaller rear gear!!! Right now there's too many links.

• E.Marquez

Posted April 06, 2008 - 03:21 PM

how do you make the chain shorter without breaking it??? I want my chain, just shorter so i can put on a smaller rear gear!!! Right now there's too many links.

Grind off the heads of the link you want to remove, pop the said plate off, and the other side of the link will come right off.

Even is you have a press, you should grind the flattened rivet head off first.

• Motomike1

Posted April 06, 2008 - 03:35 PM

so then if the head is grinded off, then what is going to keep the cahin together once it's re-assembled?

• rustyknife

Posted April 06, 2008 - 03:47 PM

You'll have to buy a master link

• Cuchara Red

Posted April 06, 2008 - 04:41 PM

so then if the head is grinded off, then what is going to keep the cahin together once it's re-assembled?

Do NOT use the link you've removed. No way, nada, nay nay. Disaster awaits you if you even think about it!:thumbsup:

• hometheaterman

Posted April 06, 2008 - 07:42 PM

I have a RK chain on mine with a master link I'm pretty sure and I haven't had a problem in the years I've had it. *knock on wood*

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DRZ 400 lower footpegs at last by vinco

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Who Has The Lightest DRZ400E and How Did You Achieve It? by Positron007

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

• 20 replies
Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

• Hot  65 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 12 reviews
  • Last review by claydus
  • On July 31, 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.