rim lock missing!!

18 replies to this topic
  • Thermos O flask

Posted March 13, 2007 - 02:49 AM

Just a quick question,i had a mate drop off my rear wheel to get a new tyre fitted,when he bought it back he said they had to do something with a rim lock.
So i take a look and there is only one rim lock fitted and a rubber grommet in the other hole!!
I'm pretty sure it had two rim locks,as i fitted the last tyre myself and it was a whore to do and i never remember having a grommet in the rim.
so should a wr400 '00 have one or two rimlocks,i just wanted to check before i
let loose.:applause:

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 13, 2007 - 10:28 AM

Just a quick question,i had a mate drop off my rear wheel to get a new tyre fitted,when he bought it back he said they had to do something with a rim lock.
So i take a look and there is only one rim lock fitted and a rubber grommet in the other hole!!
I'm pretty sure it had two rim locks,as i fitted the last tyre myself and it was a whore to do and i never remember having a grommet in the rim.
so should a wr400 '00 have one or two rimlocks,i just wanted to check before i
let loose.:applause:

I would march in there and demand your rimlock! You can get away with one rimlock on the front but if you try it with the rear you are gonna have problems:prof: If they broke it they are easily replaced for under $15 USD

• Thermos O flask

Posted March 13, 2007 - 01:56 PM

Thanks..what a shower of buttplugs ..let the abuse begin!!:applause:

• GCannon

Posted March 13, 2007 - 02:35 PM

They were probablly just too lazy to deal with two rim locks!
I guess you will be "fitting" the next tire yourself.

• Thermos O flask

Posted March 14, 2007 - 02:37 AM

yeah,my mate bought back the wheel and said 'There were two rim locks when i bought it in and now there's one?'..."Thats cos you only need one"!! 'Why didn't you refit both?'.."too hard"!! He said 'well at least give me back the rim lock'.
To top it off the $3.65 gromet has already fallen out!!
I'M SAVAGE!!:applause:
Gonna ring up the boss in the morning and tune him into channel customer service!

• clark4131

Posted March 14, 2007 - 04:07 PM

I don't nor ever have had a problem running with one bead lock...SC

• NavyNuke

Posted March 14, 2007 - 08:58 PM

honda 450s only come with one rimlock, this being said, I did the last 20 miles of my last race with a flat because of dual rimlocks keeping the tire on the rim better. Yes a pain in the arse to get both back in. takes me an extra 10 to 20 minutes to change because of the second rimlock, but I keep em in there for a reason. also helps balance the rim out some.

go rip that shop a new one.

• Thermos O flask

Posted March 14, 2007 - 10:00 PM

I rang and spoke to the boss,he was very understanding and offered to refit the rim lock.It would cost me more to drive there than to pay someone else to refit it closer to home,i told him.He then offered 50% off the next tyre i buy.
ok i suppose?

• bigblockchevelle

Posted March 15, 2007 - 03:57 AM

For the guys running one lock, what do you put in the extra hole or is it ok to leave it open. same thing just happened to me when i got my bike back from the shop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted March 15, 2007 - 05:30 AM

For the guys running one lock, what do you put in the extra hole or is it ok to leave it open. same thing just happened to me when i got my bike back from the shop.

I use duct tape instead of the rubber rim band and just poke one hole instead of two for the second rim lock...SC

• Crashly

Posted March 16, 2007 - 05:13 PM

I have only ever ran one bead lock, on all of my Bikes, WR426, DRZ 400, Kx 500, yz250, etc and I have never had any problems. I would just keep on using the one and ask for the other one back, it is handy to have a spare.

• Birdy426

Posted March 17, 2007 - 08:29 AM

..what a shower of buttplugs ...:applause:

Now that's some funny stuff...Tanks, Marky!

• dkwok

Posted March 17, 2007 - 02:37 PM

on the front tyre, my fren said u can run the tyre wifout any rim lock, on the rear one rimlock is ok, is he correct? :applause:

• Looks450

Posted March 18, 2007 - 02:02 AM

I just leave it open. I often wondered where all the water got into the tyre after a wet ride.

I am with clark. You DON'T need two rim locks unless you have road tyres on and are constantly with traction. For off-road use there is no need to run two of them, AND YES they are a bugger to fit new tyres with two.

• 450high

Posted March 19, 2007 - 01:07 AM

I had a new tyre fitted recently and when i picked it up the mechanic told me that they only fittrd 1 rimlock back because the the other was corroded and knackered.I ask if this was o.k and he said it was.He gave me the old one back and it was looking a bit sad.If i had been asked i would have paid for the new one , no big deal they put in a rubber plug and all looks good.I guess they should give the option or at least let you know , that saves any agro.

• Thermos O flask

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:14 AM

Whats the problem with tyre places? They could have fitted and charged you for a new one,made money AND you would still be happy!

• SXP

Posted March 19, 2007 - 09:43 AM

Even the "mighty" KTM 525s come with only one rim lock on the rear tire. My riding buddy rides one and he's always HARD on the gas and I don't believe he's ever had an issue with spinning a tire on the rim.

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 19, 2007 - 03:21 PM

No offense intended, well maybe some, all of you who think you only need one rim lock on the rear of a big bore four stroke are asking for trouble:bonk: As mentioned once already in this post, just having two on there when you get a flat is worth it alone...... trust me, there are plenty of riders out there, myself included, that have spun a rim before and if you think putting a second rimlock in when mounting tires is tough, try changing replacing your tube on top of a mountain somewhere when you rip your valve stem off.....:applause:

• bigdrtrdr

Posted March 19, 2007 - 04:53 PM

Whats the problem with tyre places? They could have fitted and charged you for a new one,made money AND you would still be happy!

Heres the deal with shops and mounting tires, And, This is why I do my own.
The lowest guy on the preverbial totem pole is the one that gets stuck mounting tires.
You are lucky if you even get the tube installed right, Usulally pinched with a rimlock.
At $8.00 per hour they most likley dont give a shit about your dirtbike tire.

That said, I put a new 756 on my WR yesterday. It took me a grand total of 20 minutes. "with two rimlocks"
Its all technique and practice, The ISDE guys can do it in as little as 5 minutes.
My motto in life is "If I want shoddy work, I can do it myself"

Peace,

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.