Athena 478cc Big Bore Kit / Reliability ?

6 replies to this topic
  • MerlinUK

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:35 AM

I am thinking of rebuilding my engine (03' WR450), and was contemplating putting in a 478cc Big Bore Kit. All i was wondering was will it make the bike any less reliable, or put any more strain on the other components? Any comments from guys who have already done the upgrade would be appreciated too. I have had a quick search about, but cant realy find a definitive answer.

Thanks.

• MerlinUK

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:20 PM

Anyone? Really would like some input before i splash out.. Any help/Advice is muchly appreciated :applause:

• dmoney1074

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:03 PM

Won't you have limited re-sleevs on the motor if you bore it... I really don't know though...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FOZZ

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Good question - wish I knew ?

I was thinking about that too..

• Birdy426

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:54 PM

The WR motors can't be re-sleeved. They are a nicosil plated aluminum bore, so if you go oversize, you must replate anyway. I can't speak to the 478 kit, but I have a Luke's racing 444 kit on my 426, and it has been rock solid reliable. I had an Athena pro kit on my son's YZ125 as well, and it was also pretty reliable...and the one time it did take a dump, Athena stood behind their product and replaced the damaged parts on their dime.

• MerlinUK

Posted March 14, 2007 - 12:11 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=300089271549

Thats the kit i was lookin at, also fits the WR no problems. Still undecided, might have to do a bit more digging me thinks :applause:

• MountainMax

Posted March 24, 2007 - 11:07 AM

I wish they made a bigger kit like a 525 like KTM has

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.