Max Temp 650R

4 replies to this topic
  • glabudde

Posted March 12, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Installed a Vapor on bike and can now monitor temp. When riding in N. Cal. during winter (45 to 70F) typically runs around 160 to 175F. When idiling and crawling through rocks for aboue five minutes it rose to 270F before I took it for a ride to cool off before shutting down. What is considered safe? :applause:

• bigtooth

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:02 AM

I just bought an R and I'm curious about this also. I have the directions to install a cooling fan on the radiator. Has anyone done this and does it help out at all?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • porterdog

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:25 AM

I'd say 270 is too high. I do some automotive testing, and the big OEMs typically spec their max coolant temp at about 250.

Since you live in California and freezing isn't an issue consider changing to a mix of 70% water/30% antifreeze; it helps to transfer heat out of the engine faster.

• sanjoh

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:30 AM

Vapor on my XRR has recorder max at 239 in central FL heat at slow speed in tight woods.

• Hendi

Posted March 14, 2007 - 11:18 AM

I own the vapor too and I have notice that the water temp is not accurate, I had some reading over 400F , a bit too high for water ??, its a good computer but I don't trust its accuracy as far as water temp, I order a fan for my XR but don't know if that will make a big change.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.