advice on tank for XR650L

8 replies to this topic
  • KamloopsXR

Posted March 12, 2007 - 07:54 PM

I own a 2006 650L and I'm in replaceing the tank.
I'm trying to decide on a fuel tank, but have heard that they can make the bike over heat due to having to removing the elephant ears.
Has anybody had this problem? Are there tanks that are better at keeping the engine cool? I've heard some riders shave off some of the front fender to help with cooling.
It gets quite hot in the summer where I live , so I'm a little concerned.
Any comments or anwers would be great.

Thanks

• FOUR STOKED

Posted March 13, 2007 - 03:54 AM

I have not run the wings for years with no problems with the stock tank. I now run the Clarke 4.7 tank and it works fine so far and don't expect any problems either.:applause:

• LesJive

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:41 AM

A few months ago I installed a Clarke tank on my 650L, the gas cap split in half last month.
Something to think about..

• goblin127

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:29 AM

Never had a problem with my clark 4.3 They do make an aluminum gas cap if you think thats an issue. Not having those wings is going to make it over heat. Trim the front fender up an inch if you think you have to. I have not had a problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TREADMARKS

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:31 AM

You could go with the clarke 4.7, port the front fender, and install some adjustable stays to keep the tank away from the engine. You could also apply heat tape to the bottom of the tank to help keep the fuel cooler. Most of the overheating issues seem to stem from a lean condition as a result of other mods anyways.

Posted Image

The acerbis front fender is already ported and helps vent air to the engine.

Posted Image

• TDC71

Posted March 13, 2007 - 11:43 AM

Nice fork setup Treadmarks. Ive got the 4.7 and have no overheat issues so far. Treadmarks see you still have that long vent to the gas cap still, go check out the 1 way check valves they got, lets air in but shuts off when tipped ,looks real clean no long hose sticking out.

Todd

• GIANTac1

Posted March 13, 2007 - 03:29 PM

A few months ago I installed a Clarke tank on my 650L, the gas cap split in half last month.
Something to think about..

I had the same problem with my cap. I emailed Clarke, gave them my name and they replaced it free of charge in 2 days!:applause: I have not had a overheating issue with my Clarke 4.0 tank.:eek:

• KamloopsXR

Posted March 13, 2007 - 04:14 PM

Yah, sounds like not alot have had problems. Guess theres no need to worry.
Alot of guys recommend Clarke.

Thanks fort he reply.

• LesJive

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:24 PM

I had the same problem with my cap. I emailed Clarke, gave them my name and they replaced it free of charge in 2 days!:applause: I have not had a overheating issue with my Clarke 4.0 tank.:lol:

I replaced mine with the aluminum one, nice to hear they took good care of ya. :eek:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.