zirt fittings for steering bearings

8 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 12, 2007 - 11:49 AM

Has any one tried drilling a small hole on the steering head and inserted a zirt fitting so you can grease the steering bearings with out having to take the steering stem out?:applause:

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2007 - 12:17 PM

It's not practical. You would have to fill the entire steering head with grease in order to drive grease into the bearings that way. That also means that on the aluminum framed models you would need to block the holes where the top tube and down tube intersect the head tube so that you didn't have to fill the entire frame.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 12, 2007 - 12:27 PM

I was just wondering because a friend of mine I race with done it to his. I believe it was 04 yz450 and it had grease a fitting on it somewhere toward the top of the steering head. He said it would greeze the bottom bearings good but couldnt get none to the top. He also had one on the swing arm pivot somewhere so he could greeze the swing arm bearings.

• Goosedog

Posted March 12, 2007 - 12:50 PM

Back in the day we used to do that to all our old Honda's. You could always tell who'd done the mod by all the grease dripped down the back side of the front fender. Don't recommend it though cause it takes about a whole tube of grease to fill the void, it adds weight, is messy and a major clean-up when it's time to change the bearings out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2007 - 12:57 PM

Lest anyone believe this, bear in mind, there are two places that a grease fitting could be placed to be functional on a swing arm pivot on a YZ/YZF. One is on each of the two bearing eyes of the swing arm itself, with the grease port terminating between the bearings. Good luck keeping the fitting out of the way of the chain on the left side. The other is to plug both ends of the pivot bolt and put a grease fitting in one end, cross drill the bolt in two places aligning with the bearings, machine an annulus on the ID of the bearing sleeve between the two bearings and cross drill that. Then, you'd have to fill the swing arm pivot full of grease to get it to work. And, of course, none of that will grease any of the shock linkage.

:applause:

• bg10459

Posted March 12, 2007 - 01:18 PM

FYI, it's ZERK. (Just so this thread can come up if someone searches for "zerk".)

• Goosedog

Posted March 12, 2007 - 01:20 PM

FYI, it's ZERK. (Just so this thread can come up if someone searches for "zerk".)

I like to call 'em nipples. :applause:

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 12, 2007 - 03:12 PM

If it would ahve been practical for Yamaha to add one, they most likely would have...

Remember, even new bikes have practally no grease. Yamaha and other companies really skimp on the grease. Even when new, it's always a good idea to regrease. If it's used, even if the owner said he did, it's definately a good idea to regrease.

• Mikeee P

Posted March 12, 2007 - 09:11 PM

Yamaha YZ's used to come with zerk fittings on the linkage - check out the old 1982 YZ's.... problem is, the grease forcing out harmed the soft seals and that caused a binding problem in itself. There was a company back in the day that made them for all the then current model MX bikes and they were the rage....... for about one season! LOL

It's a great idea, I wish they'd find a way to make it work well. It'd be nice to just "lube up" your bike's linkage, swingarm, steering stem etc...

Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.