How to R/R linkage bearings and seals

4 replies to this topic
  • Cobra2go

Posted January 23, 2002 - 10:13 PM

I searched the archives and couldn't find anything. I have the swingarm and linage off and am having some trouble with the seals and bearings in the linkage. I would really appreciate any tips/hints/shortcuts on removing those for cleaning/inspection/greasing. Also, I know some people are installing grease zerks on the linkage, can anyone provide me with exact locations? Thanks in advance.

Posted January 23, 2002 - 11:23 AM

If you already have the swingarm off and the Link disconnected, Just spray down the bearings with either carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner. Once clean gently roll the needle bearings with your finger, if there is any resistance replace the bearing, if not user either water resistant White lithium or red molly and relube them in place by hand. If you find a bad bearing you will have to purchase the tool from

Kind of expensive at $99.00 but necessary to do the job of replacing the bearings right.

You can also buy a bearing kit and have your local dealer press them in....But I have found that having the tool pay's for it's self after the first use.

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha.dude

Posted January 23, 2002 - 02:25 PM

I too am interested in fitting a bunch of grease nipples to the bike at various points... headstem bearings, swing arm and linkages... Anyone done this and have some details/tips/photos... I recall that someones signature mentioned it, but forget who it was now... I think this could be a mod that a lot of people would like to do...

• Buck

Posted January 25, 2002 - 04:12 AM

To replace bearings I use my bench vise and sockets. Basically it is a press. Use a screwdriver to pop the seals out. Then use a socket that is slightly smaller than the linkage hole to puch the bearing out into a deep well socket that is slightly bigger than the opening. It takes a little bit of time to get everything lined up but they pop right out and go back in and I saved 100 bucks that I can use on gas to go riding.

• mike_dean

Posted January 25, 2002 - 07:39 AM

I've installed grease fittings in the linkage and swingarm. My computer at home is down, but if you give me your address can send you the pictures. mike

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.