Ohlins rear shock

16 replies to this topic
  • dirtbikersa

Posted March 12, 2007 - 10:39 AM

I am looking for a service manual for a Ohlins rear shock. I can get the owners manual off there website but I need to service the shock..

• KTM-Lew

Posted March 12, 2007 - 11:34 AM

Good luck...you'd have a better chance of having your blind-folded drunk monkey hack into the Pentagon on the first crack, than finding ANY Ohlins shock rebuilding info.

Not gonnna happen!:lol: :applause:

• blitz11

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:03 AM

Can I ask why? I just picked up a gasgas with the ohlins shock, and would like some information on changing fluid and maintenance. It seems you can find this for every other manufacturer.

Thanks in advance.

• KTM-Lew

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:10 AM

Ohlins hold their cards very close to their chest...they want you to send the shock to them.

• blitz11

Posted March 13, 2007 - 07:48 AM

If I've done KYB and Showa, is the Ohlins a big jump? I am not as interested in valving as I am routine maintenance. I am just after clean oil and a fresh N2 charge.

Thanks again. I appreciate all of your insight. I've learned a great deal from you.

• KTM-Lew

Posted March 13, 2007 - 10:21 AM

The only problem would be the reservior piston height. I think the general rule of thumb is 80% of reservior length?

• thillsam

Posted March 13, 2007 - 10:32 AM

The only problem would be the reservior piston height. I think the general rule of thumb is 80% of reservior length?

This is what I set any shock with a floating piston to. My Sherco has a Paoili shock that is very very similar in construction layout to an Ohlins.

Ohlins are very very simple to work on, IME, and easy to bleed too. I overhauled/revalved the shock on my girlfreind's GasGas EC200 myself, with no manual and only old Ohlins twin shock experience.

The only specialy tool I needed were a shock needle to recharge.

• blitz11

Posted March 13, 2007 - 11:50 AM

Thanks again. I have an excellent mental picture here now. This helps a great deal.

• henrics

Posted March 13, 2007 - 03:32 PM

push the reservior piston all the way in then back out 8mm, then you have the right amount of oil

• dirtbikersa

Posted March 14, 2007 - 12:47 PM

I woud like to do a full strip down and reassemble but I guess I will stick to oil change and recharge with nitrogen. Why not measure the amount of oil that comes out and then refill with same amount, maybe little extra?

• mog

Posted March 14, 2007 - 01:55 PM

thats not accurate enough, get it wrong and you have serious problems.

• henrics

Posted March 14, 2007 - 04:48 PM

It`s very hard to put a measured amount back in the shock . you got to bleed the air out and its usually messy, how much of the oil got to your workbench?

• dirtbikersa

Posted March 15, 2007 - 12:09 PM

I still think it will be more accurate than guessing 80% of the resevoir length?? Somewhere this info must be available??

• KTM-Lew

Posted March 15, 2007 - 12:28 PM

I still think it will be more accurate than guessing 80% of the resevoir length?? Somewhere this info must be available??

Have you ever done a shock with a piston style reservioir? :applause:

• mog

Posted March 15, 2007 - 02:21 PM

You dont guess 80% you measure it.

• dirtbikersa

Posted March 16, 2007 - 09:52 AM

Have you ever done a shock with a piston style reservioir? :applause:

The only shock that I have ever serviced is my showa shock..

I will hopefully get around to trying it this weekend.

• dirtbikersa

Posted March 16, 2007 - 09:53 AM

You dont guess 80% you measure it.

Aha, that makes more sense. :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.