Fuel boil???

20 replies to this topic
  • StPeters21

Posted March 12, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Yesterday at the track I would go out for a couple of laps and I noticed my fuel coming out of my vent. I have one of those cap dealies with a clear line and the fuel was perkulating through the vent. It would do this for several minutes. So I switched back to the stock line and after riding I could hear it still perkulating?????? It was only about 65 degrees yesterday, nothing crazy. I've never noticed this before. Anyone else have this problem???? Or is it a problem?????

I have a '06 YZ 450

• jayh300

Posted March 12, 2007 - 09:48 AM

don't have an answer.... but my yz400f did the same thing this weekend.

• Ranger18

Posted March 12, 2007 - 10:20 AM

Are you positive the fuel is boiling?
I ask this because the 06 yzf450 had a bad batch of gas caps, I know I had one. At first I thought the fuel was boiling, especially since it was 100 + degrees when I discovered this. I thought it might be the little trickd out vent line I had, it wasn't; even after putting the stock vent line back on I discovered that the fuel was spilling out onto the front fender via the vent line. I replaced the gas cap and problem solved. So I feel the solution to your problem is get a new gas cap. Yamaha might take care of this for you but don't count on it. I bought an aftermarket billet gas cap on ebay, I figured if I was going to have to buy a lame part like a gas cap it might as well look cool.
Good Luck

• jayh300

Posted March 12, 2007 - 11:06 AM

if i was betting... mine is a bad cap. I have ordered a new one . Mine almost vapor locked. had to crack the cap to get it back to the truck. will post when I get it all in.

• motobeck

Posted March 12, 2007 - 12:42 PM

Started having problems with my 06 450 bogging/cutting out on landings. thought it was a float level problem, but turns out that I've got a bad cap. Fuel is sloshing up into cap and causing a vapor lock??? Anyway, just ordered a sexy billet cap!

• StPeters21

Posted March 12, 2007 - 04:13 PM

WOW....I would have never thought of the gas cap. It might be, because my bike wasn't that hot. I get gas all over the front fender as well. But, much better than going all over my crotch though!!!!!!

• StPeters21

Posted March 12, 2007 - 04:51 PM

Ok, I just took the cap apart and I think that the hole was located too close to the cut in the rubber. I just switched it around and it seems to be working better. There really isn't much to these things, so I really don't know what could be bad on it????? I really would like to spend $60 on some other goodies for the bike. If anyone has any suggestions to fix this please let me know.

Thanks Chad

• Ranger18

Posted March 12, 2007 - 06:02 PM

http://www.pitposse....letgascaps.html
This is were I got my gas cap. $30
I don't know of any way to fix the stock gas cap.

• motobeck

Posted March 12, 2007 - 06:19 PM

Ordered mine from Pit Posse as well. Got a shipping confirmation in 2 hrs. Last time I ordered from them, got my stuff in 3 days... UPS ground!

• StPeters21

Posted March 12, 2007 - 06:47 PM

Ok, you just talked me into it. I just ordered a black one...... You d@mn people dangle candy in front of me.....of course I'm gonna buy it :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ranger18

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:23 AM

You'll be happy with your decision, not only is it going to fix your problem, but for some reason billet caps really add to the appearance of a bike.:applause:

• Butta

Posted March 13, 2007 - 07:36 AM

And they add like .2-.3 hp!!!!

• bfox55

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:30 PM

I had the same problem on my 99 YZ400 this weekend. Also, my vent hose was cracked so gas was dripping onto the cap and tank instead of just the fender. Had to wipe it clean every so often on the trails. I just ordered a new cap from pit posse, especially since the local yamaha dealer wants 30 bucks for the stock plastic one...

• jayh300

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:46 PM

yeah... something about riding a bike with a "glowing red header" dripping gas on the front fender is not to comforting...
ordered my new one too.

ps.... just kidding on the header thing.

• Ranger18

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:47 PM

You know it brotha!!:lol: :applause: :lol:

• StPeters21

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:54 PM

Should I get one of those fancy seat covers that have the seams in it to hold my arse on the seat. All about the ponies........heehee:thumbsup:
:applause: :lol: :lol:

• bfox55

Posted March 13, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the heads up on pitposse. I had never heard of them before and realized their shop is right by my house. They have a good selection of parts and great prices compared to the local yamaha dealer. I stopped in after work today and they let me cancel the internet order and just pick up the new gas cap. really nice guys.

• Butta

Posted March 13, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up on pitposse. I had never heard of them before and realized their shop is right by my house. They have a good selection of parts and great prices compared to the local yamaha dealer. I stopped in after work today and they let me cancel the internet order and just pick up the new gas cap. really nice guys.

Yeah, I used them a little when I was on the East Coast....great company!

• motobeck

Posted March 14, 2007 - 03:57 AM

Should I get one of those fancy seat covers that have the seams in it to hold my arse on the seat. All about the ponies........heehee:thumbsup:
:eek: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking about using velcro on my seat and pants once that new cap gets here :applause:

• StPeters21

Posted March 14, 2007 - 08:06 PM

I already tried duck tape pre-gas cap. And the beast sent me right off the back. Maybe velcro will work?????

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.