which type and weight rotella oil do I use

9 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 11, 2007 - 07:23 PM

I have a 06 yz450f with 15.2 hrs on it. Race it about three times a month and Iam currently useing yamalube 4R 10w50w. If switched to rotella what weight do I use "the same now 10w50w". what am I looking for when I go buy it. What does the bottle look like and what does the bottle say on the front?

• 642MX

Posted March 11, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Its a white bottle. It says Shell Rotella 15W40 on the front of it.

• Butta

Posted March 12, 2007 - 10:24 AM

That's what I started to use when I switched from Yamalube as well, but I have found that for a little more money the blue bottle (Rotella T 5W-40, synthetic) created smoother shifting. Since I change my oil every 5 hours, I think the Rotella works well for what I want. Grey has mentioned several times that the Rotella needs changing often due to the flux capacitor breaking down........*he he he*.....there's an explanation, but I forgot what it was exactly, something to the effect of a breakdown of it's shear resistance over time. Anyway, it works for me. Try the white bottle, then try the blue, pick the one that works for you.

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 12, 2007 - 03:09 PM

Blue (full synthetic) also works and works great.

I have found that the synthetic stays on the top end longer after having the bike sit. My main reason for using it.

• Mike McCutcheon

Posted March 12, 2007 - 07:44 PM

I use the white bottle and change oil every 3 hours, according to my hour meter. Cheap and good maintanence. Oil is dirty but not black by then.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StPeters21

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:50 PM

I personally wouldn't change. These are highly tuned race machines. They use a specific synthetic oil. Although I am a huge fan of Rotella, in my diesel truck, and only use it there. It is made for those conditions not for a race bike. I use Amsoil in my bike and it works great. Yamalube is still good oil, maybe over priced, but good.

My $. 02......

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:09 PM

If you stayed with yamalube 4R 10w50 and raced how many hours would you go before you changed it or would you change it by after every time after you race and after every practice.

• StPeters21

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:38 PM

I believe the manual calls for every 4-6 hrs. I change mine after the whole day of racing and my oil comes out clean. I will change mine, on practice days, every 2-3 days of practice. Roughly it comes out to about 2-3 hrs of riding. I'm not as young as I used to be and I can't practice all day. I never have clutch probs or cylinder issues. I probably change it too often as well. It is important to make sure your airfilter stays clean also.

Chad

• josh250crf

Posted March 13, 2007 - 08:35 PM

ive used rotella 15-40 (white bottle) in my 04 250f. works well for me. all the guys up the road at litz racing run it in their bikes and they seem to like it. my $.02.

• Pezman04wrx

Posted March 14, 2007 - 03:28 AM

I personally wouldn't change. These are highly tuned race machines. They use a specific synthetic oil. Although I am a huge fan of Rotella, in my diesel truck, and only use it there. It is made for those conditions not for a race bike. I use Amsoil in my bike and it works great. Yamalube is still good oil, maybe over priced, but good.

My $. 02......

^^^ I agree with everything but the Yamalube part ... There's some great reading on oils linked below ... Post #35 has a comparison that should help you pick an appropriate oil ...

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=445199

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.