What should I check/replace on a new to me used bike?

10 replies to this topic
  • Vegemite_luva

Posted March 11, 2007 - 01:23 PM

I recently bought a used 2003 WR450F and now I am wondering what parts I should check for lubrication, adjustment, or replacement and in what order or priority. I plan on doing the following:

Replace all the fluids, tires
Clean/replace oil filters, air filter, spark arrestor
Check the plug, sprockets, chain tension, brake pads, intake valve clearance
Lube the chain, clutch cable, throttle cable

Can anyone recommend other things to have checked/replaced? For instance should I have the linkages and bearings greased? Pipe repacked? Spoke tension checked? I am on a tight budget so I want to do only the bare minimum and I will have to have my local bike shop do much of the work as I have little time or experience to do myself.

I also noticed that the front fork stanchions have a slight coating of oil. Does this mean my fork seals are shot or is this normal?

• MantecaMisfit209

Posted March 11, 2007 - 01:25 PM

check the spokes for tightness.

• woodsk

Posted March 11, 2007 - 06:42 PM

the '03's had and issue in the starter. Do a search for woodruff key and you will find lots of info. this would be the first thing to check, if it has not been replaced chances are it will fail and like most critical failures it will happen as far away from the truck as possible :applause:

• MN_Paul

Posted March 11, 2007 - 07:43 PM

change fork oil, repack all bearings in the rear suspension linkage and steering head

• Vegemite_luva

Posted March 12, 2007 - 05:48 AM

the '03's had and issue in the starter. Do a search for woodruff key and you will find lots of info. this would be the first thing to check, if it has not been replaced chances are it will fail and like most critical failures it will happen as far away from the truck as possible :applause:

I knew about the woodruff key and starter issue but I thought that if the starter had been okay so far then it should not be a problem since not all the 03's were affected. This is according to what I have read about the 03's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vegemite_luva

Posted March 12, 2007 - 05:56 AM

change fork oil, repack all bearings in the rear suspension linkage and steering head

Do you think I need to get this stuff done right away? Or do you think it can wait until the mid summer? I am trying to spread out the work to soften the blow to my wallet.

• woodsk

Posted March 12, 2007 - 06:09 AM

I knew about the woodruff key and starter issue but I thought that if the starter had been okay so far then it should not be a problem since not all the 03's were affected. This is according to what I have read about the 03's.

I'm not sure if I would risk it, since this is the one thing that can cause serious issues. But I'm one of those guys that does a full inspection a hell of alot more than is probably needed because there is nothing worse to me that having a mech issue ruin a day out if it was something I cold have prevented.

The other items like repacking bearing and greasing linkage are general maintenance stuff that should be done regularly (depending on how much you ride it). $10 tub of grease and a couple hours in the garage. if you went to a shop for the grease and inspection it would be a couple of hundred

• drtbk4ever

Posted March 12, 2007 - 08:33 AM

Do you think I need to get this stuff done right away? Or do you think it can wait until the mid summer? I am trying to spread out the work to soften the blow to my wallet.

The grease is cheap, it just takes a little time. Check out this link to the ThumperFaq website which gives you instructions on the linkage.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

If you check on the maintenance dropdown, you will find info on fork seals as well.

• dazzabb

Posted March 12, 2007 - 06:46 PM

I would rebuild the entire rear suspension. If the previous owner looked after it you might find some grease in the linkage arm, but I would bet $$ you wont!

I rebuilt mine about 2 weeks ago (a 2005 WR450F with 6,000km) after buying it secondhand. The bearings were completely dry and rusted up and it seems that many owners neglect this part of the bike.

After replacing the bearings and greasing them up it smoothed out the back-end massively.

Chances are good that the fork seals are weeping if the stanchions are coated in oil.

I also replaced the front fork springs for a softer spring and used Motul 5W fork oil.

• 1BLUEsky

Posted March 12, 2007 - 07:28 PM

It doesnt hurt to check the bearings.I ve got an 03 also and just lubed them today for the first time since I got it a little over a year ago. Dumb yes but I mistakingly thought they were sealed.Fortunately they were OK but definetely needed grease and all it took was my time.DONT try to repack the muffler there is nothing in there that can be serviced and I could promise you that the bolts securing the spark arrestor will shear off requiring yet more work.As for the starter do a search here , some later units didnt need it or it may have already been repaired.I dont think much of the 03 system and took out the battery and the idler gear( easy)so now I just kick it! By the way ,get a manual because youll need it sooner or later and it gives specs so you can see if you even need to buy new parts! Good luck.

• byggd

Posted March 13, 2007 - 04:06 AM

The woodruff key "probably' won't cause you any problems if the recall was done on the bike but the 04 starter was redesigned to keep from breaking the side cover so you might want to consider this when you have the funds.

http://www.wr450.com...inals/index.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.