06 WR450 forks on a 06 YZ450?

6 replies to this topic
  • crfrookie

Posted March 11, 2007 - 12:14 PM

I am looking for a stock set of forks for my 06 yz450. If anyone has a set please let me know. I am going to look on e-bay as well and I just want to make sure what will fit in the 06 yz450. I really do not want to change the triple clamps if I don't have to. I know that the 06 clamps are 2mm wider than the 04 and 05 ones and I believe that the 04 & 05 forks will work if I put a 1mm spacer on the brake side in between that fork and wheel. Am I right on that? So if I can't find a set of 06 yz450 forks will a set of 06 WR forks work in the 06 YZ 450? Also would the two stroke forks, or the 250f forks work as well? I want to stay with a 04 or newer. Would the two stroke and 250f forks need to be revalved, since the 450 is heavier? I know that the 06 forks would be ideal but since I am really only trail riding and just starting to ride motorcross would I be alright with a set of 04 & 05 forks? Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• crfrookie

Posted March 11, 2007 - 06:35 PM

Are the 06 YZF450 and WR450 forks the same, and are they interchangable?

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2007 - 08:09 PM

They aren't the same. The '06 WR has forks from the '05 YZF (the WR has always been one year behind in the suspension dept).

You can use any earlier 48mm fork, but you'll need to add 1 mm to the spacing on the brake side of the wheel. It shouldn't be necessary to modify the caliper mount at all, but check the front brake operation to be sure.

But do tell, why would you use anything earlier on an '06?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crfrookie

Posted March 12, 2007 - 07:00 PM

I lowered the 06 forks for the ice, and now that the snow is starting to melt I was looking for a spare set so I could swap back and forth between the seasons. I have been looking for an 06 set but no luck so far. Plenty of 48mm forks though. Any advise is appreciated and thanks for the reply.

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2007 - 08:05 AM

I would build the '06 fork as the dirt fork. They are vastly superior to any earlier version; head, shoulders and belly button above even the '05 fork. Then, get an earlier set for the ice, as the quality of the suspension won't be as big an issue there.

Posted March 13, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Enough said grayracer Dont put 04 or 05 forks on your 06 , like he said the 06 forks are like comparing a cadillac to a yugo the 06 bieng the caddy and the 04 05 the yugo!!!!

• crfrookie

Posted March 13, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Thanks guys, I will keep it in mind, and if not I can always rebuild the 06. Appreciate the responces and all the info. This site rocks.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.