Diconnected TPS...good results WR450

28 replies to this topic
  • Gadsen

Posted July 26, 2007 - 05:47 PM

Just got back from a quick ride around my neighborhood. My 2003 WR was surging while traveling at consistant speed (55-60mph). With the TPS disconnected, the surging was almost non existant. Before disconnecting, I was unable to ride at a steady pace without the bike cutting out. Power was excellent as long as I was steadily adding more throttle.

I do wonder if having the TPS disconnected, the ECM may get incorrect info and not adjust the timeing correctly? Any thoughts? Long term effects?

I also am wondering if I should adjust the TPS and possibly get the same results.

:confused:

TPS is fine. The problem is, you are right at the threshold where timing is bouncing (ignition mapping) and it shows up at cruise RPM's, light throttle. When you disconnect the TPS, it just ignores it as an input and the timing is more fixed. I suspect you might lose some power off road, where it being hooked up, goes unoticed. This is basicallt a normal malady, not a defect. Its easy enough to undue if you need to cruise down some long roads.

• ARin

Posted July 26, 2007 - 10:14 PM

TPS is fine. The problem is, you are right at the threshold where timing is bouncing (ignition mapping) and it shows up at cruise RPM's, light throttle. When you disconnect the TPS, it just ignores it as an input and the timing is more fixed. I suspect you might lose some power off road, where it being hooked up, goes unoticed. This is basicallt a normal malady, not a defect. Its easy enough to undue if you need to cruise down some long roads.

i suppose the easy solution would be to put a switch in line with the tps cables.

flip it on for dirt, off for street.

• MaxPower

Posted July 27, 2007 - 12:47 AM

[COLOR="Green"]If it is the fault of the TPS, why is my WR fine on the road?
Before I jetted it, it was unridable trying to cruise at 50 mph[/COLOR]

• byggd

Posted July 27, 2007 - 05:29 AM

i suppose the easy solution would be to put a switch in line with the tps cables.

flip it on for dirt, off for street.

If you take this route the bike must be turned off for the mapping change to take affect. If you flip the switch with the bike running no change will take place.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indymoto450

Posted July 29, 2007 - 06:31 PM

just read this thread and a few others, I had been having the same problems with my SM wr450f. It was completly opened up with all the mods and also had a JD jet kit that I have been messing with for 2 months. Removed the screw and took the TPS sensor off and went for a short ride. No stutter through 1st and 2nd gear and no more 55 mph stutter also. After a 200 mile ride earlier today on my bike I was ready to sell it, glad I turned to ThumperTalk instead.

• WRob

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:44 PM

I've read most of the posts on this problem cause my 06 wr450 was doing the same thing. I went through the process of adjusting the tps per the manual, .078VDC. No change in the stutter. I then disconnected the plug and was blown away by the difference. I bought this bike set up supermoto style, but was unhappy with the way it stuttered on the street. I've had it set up for dirt for the last 6 months, but after getting rid of the stutter, I set it back up for the street and went for a cruise last night.....at 11:00 pm. The neighbors are probably pissed! A street plated 06 wr450....I love this bike! Thanks to all who posted on this issue.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:48 PM

Disconnected is the way to go on the street but most have found it better connected off-road.

My thoughts exactly. Been there done that. For trails keep it connected. Drag racing, un plug her .......... bahhh :thumbsup:

• WRob

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:57 PM

I'm still pretty new to the bike, will I really notice a big diff in the dirt? I'm no MX'er, but I likes my wheels spinnin.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted August 14, 2007 - 05:39 AM

I'm still pretty new to the bike, will I really notice a big diff in the dirt? I'm no MX'er, but I likes my wheels spinnin.

In my experience, you will lose bottom-end power. When your in a low gear, going slow on tight trails, your bike wil be revving high, almost winding out. I didnt like it unplugged on the trails. ............ bahhh :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.