2007 Yz450f

12 replies to this topic
  • gtxkid

Posted March 11, 2007 - 06:23 AM

What mods should a 47 year old Senior B rider do to it.
Do not want to get crazy.
Just the most important stuff.
Air filter, aftermarket air screw, fork bleaders,
Thinking about suspention.
Bigest problem is corner speed, but i think practice is the only answer there.
Greg

• kyle450rider

Posted March 11, 2007 - 09:41 AM

sounds like you already have planned what you need to do.I would rejet as soon as you have time and then go play!

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 11, 2007 - 03:26 PM

I would just put a pipe on it and a notoil airfilter.

• 700MX

Posted March 11, 2007 - 04:00 PM

What mods should a 47 year old Senior B rider do to it.
Do not want to get crazy.
Just the most important stuff.
Air filter, aftermarket air screw, fork bleaders,
Thinking about suspention.
Bigest problem is corner speed, but i think practice is the only answer there.
Greg

A gym membership

• gtxkid

Posted March 11, 2007 - 05:27 PM

All true
GYM would help.
jumped out in 3rd for 2 laps then faded

• YamaHonda

Posted March 11, 2007 - 06:41 PM

Get the jetting dialed. Its more important than any bolt on part. Gearing is next - don't assume going up or down a tooth on the rear is what will make the bike work best for you. Get a few different sizes and try them out - including a larger countershaft sproket. The various combinations with two fronts and 3 or 4 rears can transform your bike.

Air bleeders and an aftermarket fuel screw are must haves. After that, your suspension is the next system to dial in. You'll be surprised how good the stock forks and shock really are. Read all the posts on raising the forks and setting the sag. Make sure its sprung for your weight and work the clickers until you have the ride you want. If that fails, sending the forks/shock out to a pro for valving adjustments is your next move.

After that, keep fresh rubber on your ride and pay attention to tire pressure and keep the spokes tight.

You can always add an exhaust, but that falls into the bling category IMO. Nothing wrong with Bling though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Captaincautious7

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:18 PM

I went down to a 47 on rear which I know is the opposite of virtually everyone else but I am an anti-shifter and it works well for me. Also added the Boyseen Accel.Pump Cover, Pro Seal in airbox and ForkSkins on front forks, Ready Racing Stainless Oil Filter and an additional Pro Seal airfilter which I highly suggest because it comes with two foam filter skins which you can utilize on any airfilter.Overall am very satisfied with my 07 especially the suspension and flight characteristics of the machine, very balanced. Only small complaint is not having the low end hit of my old 05CRF. This can be remedied I hear with a new pipe although I am still confused on which one would work best for money and I do appreciate the lower noise of the 07.

• kyle450rider

Posted March 13, 2007 - 07:30 PM

I went down to a 47 on rear which I know is the opposite of virtually everyone else but I am an anti-shifter and it works well for me. Also added the Boyseen Accel.Pump Cover, Pro Seal in airbox and ForkSkins on front forks, Ready Racing Stainless Oil Filter and an additional Pro Seal airfilter which I highly suggest because it comes with two foam filter skins which you can utilize on any airfilter.Overall am very satisfied with my 07 especially the suspension and flight characteristics of the machine, very balanced. Only small complaint is not having the low end hit of my old 05CRF. This can be remedied I hear with a new pipe although I am still confused on which one would work best for money and I do appreciate the lower noise of the 07.

I had a 2005 honda too and wish this yamaha had the low end that the honda had.Well after jetting and getting the bike back together all i can say is look out!Just from startup i could tell a difference and then i rode down the alley and was amazed.No more popping or bog.I put in a 170 main and a 48 pilot with the fuel screw 2 1/4 turns out.3rd gear and floor it is no problem now.I almost did the ap mod but didnt and i don't think i'm going to now.It's got plenty for me.

• demp35744

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:25 AM

Wouldn't the bottom end have been more like the CRF had you left the stock gearing on it?

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2007 - 07:57 AM

Only small complaint is not having the low end hit of my old 05CRF. This can be remedied I hear with a new pipe although I am still confused on which one would work best for money and I do appreciate the lower noise of the 07.

The Dr.D works very well, and the SS system is reasonably priced. There's a lot of support on the board for MRD exhausts, which are each custom built as you want them, warranteed, and priced under Dr.D. Also there's a guy here who took an '07 exhaust he got on eBay, bolted it onto his '06, and put the '06 end cap on. He claims a big improvement in low end with a reasonable noise level.

Also, the Zip-Ty carb mod is an excellent way to get more out of the bike.

• Captaincautious7

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:00 PM

Yes, I did sacrifice a little low end with the gearing change but this this is virtually the identical gearing I had gone to on my 05crf. I can't really complain because of this fact, but don't get me wrong, the Yamaha is no dog by a long shot. I may try the jetting change that Kyle450rider is talking about. If I could find a little more low end in my opinion the Yamaha would be far and away better in every category than my 05crf. Also the gearing change can be looked at in two different ways. Many riders are going up 1 to 2 teeth which essentially eliminates 1st and keeps them in 3rd and 4th while reducing the teeth 1 or 2 allows me to ride primarily in 2nd and 3rd.

• AZcrRider

Posted March 14, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Call me lazy, but I got some extra twin air air filters, and a good O-ring chain, and set the sag. And that is it! The stock jetting is great, IMO. The stock gearing is really good too - close to my old 03 CR250, but alot more torque, of course. If I went up a tooth or two in the back, I might have to get into fourth more, and who wants to do that?

I am a big skid plate fan with the Alum frame, too, and like the reversable axle blocks (pro circuit, ride eng. etc.) to keep the adjusters bolts, and the axle to axle distance in as much as possible.

I like the stock exhaust too, and have tried the white bros. but did not care for it as much. It actually gave a bit less bottom and more mid, and seemed to rev a bit too quick. Not as good for slick clay tracks, anyhow. The stock exhaust is nice and quiet too.

18 rides/ 30 to 36 hrs. on mine so far, and no issues. Have re-greased everything, of course and checked the valves. Haven't even looked at the spark plug...will have to put that on my to do list for it's one year anniversary.

• gtxkid

Posted March 15, 2007 - 05:23 PM

I have Air bleeders and an aftermarket fuel screw installed.
Going to go race this weekend and play with rebound front and rear.
Everything else fells good.
set sag at 4 inches

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.