Froke seal. Replacment

9 replies to this topic
  • gildnernorth101

Posted March 10, 2007 - 12:35 PM

How hard is it replace the froke seals on a 01,426 do i need any speacail tools.

• kawirider

Posted March 10, 2007 - 06:43 PM

I do know that it is a very dirty job and one that if you mess it up will cost you some cheese. Have you tried finding a good local shop that will do it for cheap? I know that my local shop will do it for like $140 and if you are making a pretty decent living all that means is an extra 2-3 hours at work. Then you save yourself a lot of headache and you dont even have to get dirty.

If there isnt a local dirtbike shop that will do it for cheap try and find a small suspension shop that will do it. Not a shop like RG3 or Pro Circuit I am talking about some no name place. The place I went to (fastlap suspension) is great and will change your fork seals for like $100.

• N2Roost

Posted March 10, 2007 - 08:55 PM

How good of a mechanic are you?

Is there a suspension service company nearby?

How much are you willing to spend on tools?

It's not too difficult BUT:

*You'll need a VERY clean bench and 6-8 old tee shirts for rags
*You'll need a vice to hold your fork during bleeding & setting oil level
*I used Eric Gore AND my factory manual for tech info

I live near NOLEEN suspension service and purchased my oil, seals, slide metals, seal grease and got free advice on oil level. I made my own seal driver but I think I saw them on TT for 35-40 and will buy them before next servicing. My homemade driver was risky and took great patience. The only tool I bought was a fluild level kit.

• ____Kurt____

Posted March 11, 2007 - 05:45 PM

since its around 100-150 for fork seal replacements you mine as well get it serviced or revalved. that would included new seals.

• Mike546

Posted March 12, 2007 - 04:02 PM

Pick up the current Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike magazine. It has an article on seal replacement from start to finish. I cut it out and put it in plastic protectors and saved it. Looks pretty straight forward.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tammie

Posted March 12, 2007 - 05:57 PM

I just did mine today by myself in the laundry room and im a 'girl' hahahah

the only special tool i used was a fork seal driver and I made my own suction device out of a spray bottle sprayer...

ps. yes its messy wear rubber gloves and have shop towels all around you..

pss. when putting the dampning rod back in make sure you put your finger over the end i learned that the hard way when fork oil when spewing about a foot in the air as i placed the rod in was quite funny actually...

• Mike546

Posted March 13, 2007 - 03:09 PM

I just did mine today by myself in the laundry room and im a 'girl' hahahah

I think it's great you work on your own bike.
What I don't like is when you girls pass me on the MX track:ride:
But I'm getting use to it.
Keep up the good work!

• tammie

Posted March 13, 2007 - 03:35 PM

well I had to learn to do all this stuff myself or I wouldn't be dirtbiking, I bought a house on my own 2 years ago and its just me so if I can't fix it and maintain it myself I can't ride it!!! doing 99% of the work myself saves a HUGE amount of $$$

lets just say my manual is WELL used....i actually ended up using packing tape to 'laminate' the front and back cover it was getting so warn and greasy haha

• Digger01

Posted April 25, 2007 - 05:26 PM

I called the stealership wants $300 to replace seals...

Called RRP suspention out in west Jersey and they want about $150 includes seals..

Said they would fixem in one day even while I wait for 1-2 hr..
I will bring them in.

• Racegun

Posted April 26, 2007 - 02:09 AM

Tammie , you go girl !!!, im impressed!

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.