07 WR450 jetting

13 replies to this topic
  • Jammer

Posted March 10, 2007 - 06:08 AM

March 2007 Dirt bike magazine, pp. 128-129, shows how to uncork the WR. They say to use a 175 main, DTR-4 needle in slot 4, 50 pilot, 45 leak and 110 air jet. I got these from Yamaha with the manual, spark plug wrench, spoke wrench, etc. Is this a good setup (elev.800'), or is there something better?

One other thing - I can't see a number on the needle I got from Yamaha. Can anyone confirm if it is the DTR-4 that comes from Yamaha with the bike (accessory item - I haven't taken the carb off yet).

• SXP

Posted March 10, 2007 - 09:31 AM

See your other post for a pic.

• PAUL K EDMUNDS

Posted June 06, 2007 - 08:11 AM

Anyone who installs the whole '07 AIS Removal Kit (GYT-5TJ93-69-01) is going to have a bike that runs too rich. You can call Yamaha techs at: 800-962-7926 and see if they have figured something out--but to date, nothing! Can't comment on the JD Kit. But the bike does run great just stock after throttle stop removal, intake (air) silencer, plus removal of gray wire from CDI unit. This is what we ran this March in Baja.

• BikerDAD450F

Posted June 06, 2007 - 07:48 PM

Anyone who installs the whole '07 AIS Removal Kit (GYT-5TJ93-69-01) is going to have a bike that runs too rich. You can call Yamaha techs at: 800-962-7926 and see if they have figured something out--but to date, nothing! Can't comment on the JD Kit. But the bike does run great just stock after throttle stop removal, intake (air) silencer, plus removal of gray wire from CDI unit. This is what we ran this March in Baja.

Just some more info to throw into the mix... On my 07 WR450 (Canadian) there is no grey wire to deal with ! So i am lost as to how to get the more aggressive YZ ign. mapping/curve. as far as jetting goes, My GYTR AIS removal kit is STILL on backorder, but I did all the other free mods and it goes good 'cept for the occasional BOG off idle when going WOT when there is traction. and popping in the exhaust under light load, medium RPM.

Cheers.

• fitzy

Posted June 07, 2007 - 04:15 AM

Agreed :thumbsup: :) I have all the mods and runninf a 165 main needle 1 clip from the top and a 45 pilot. It still seems rich to me. I'm at sea level. I think a stock YZ only runs a 165 main But am trying to find out

• RJB

Posted June 07, 2007 - 07:36 AM

Agreed :thumbsup: :) I have all the mods and runninf a 165 main needle 1 clip from the top and a 45 pilot. It still seems rich to me. I'm at sea level. I think a stock YZ only runs a 165 main But am trying to find out

According to their manual, stock YZ as follows:
Main jet: 160, Pilot jet: 45, Clip position: #4, Jet needle: NFLR, Leak jet: 55.

BTW - anyone got a scan of the Dirt Bike article they could share with me?

• Gramps1957

Posted November 18, 2007 - 06:16 PM

A buddy of mine put DynoJet's Stage 2 Jet Kit on his 2007 WR450 and the mid-range was terrible on the bike. It got worse as you went up in altitude. A tech at DynoJet said you have to replace the coil with an aftermarket coil for the bike to run cleanly. Too bad they don't tell you that before you buy the kit! We dumped the kit and just went back to running it with the basic mods (like it doesn't already have enough power). I also put their kit on my 2007 WR250 and that bike also didn't run as smooth as it should. I also took it off my WR250. Their kits did work just fine on my KLX300 and my XR650L. But stay away from them for the 2007 WRs unless you're willing to spend additional bucks on your bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted November 19, 2007 - 05:57 AM

Just some more info to throw into the mix... On my 07 WR450 (Canadian) there is no grey wire to deal with ! So i am lost as to how to get the more aggressive YZ ign. mapping/curve. as far as jetting goes, My GYTR AIS removal kit is STILL on backorder, but I did all the other free mods and it goes good 'cept for the occasional BOG off idle when going WOT when there is traction. and popping in the exhaust under light load, medium RPM.

Cheers.

My 07 Canadian WR450 has a gray mire to mod :thumbsup:

• kenny1234

Posted November 19, 2007 - 01:40 PM

best thing is get a dyno run i uncorcked mine wasted money on jd kit bike ran like a sack of s*(it ran on dyno standard jetting was even to lean i m at sea level in england running a 160mj 45 pilot thin jd oring and all free mods bike runs real good but still runs bit rich after 7000rpm according to dyno i cant notice though dyno was best money i spent i run to test £40 altered jets as instructed by mr dyno i more run spot on he even said it was the smoothest power curve he d ever seen

• BikerDAD450F

Posted November 19, 2007 - 10:47 PM

Cheers.

OK I do have a gray wire... it was just not in the plug I expected it to be. I had also heard/read about the sky-blue colored wire but I think I'm just going to leave well enough alone for now.:thumbsup:

• BajaFool

Posted November 20, 2007 - 03:50 PM

Jammer,
What follows is the exerpt from the October 2007 Dirt Rider 450 shootout article entitled 2007 450 Off-Road Comparison: "Making the Yamaha Run. It is pretty easy to make the WR go from snore to score. Just buy the GYTR kit (GYT-5TJ93-69-01, $49.95) that includes the shorter throttle stop, a block-off kit for the Air Induction System (AIS) and a set of jets that bump the power by richening the jetting, then follow the included instructions. This is how we tested the bike in Costa Rica for its debut and in our first test. But in light of current standards and enforcements here in California, we also came up with the setting that we tested the bike in for this comparison. We used the shorter throttle stop, took out only the smallest stuffer from the muffler and removed the restrictor from the top of the airbox. We also disconnected the gray wire at the six-pin connector underneath the left sidepanel. We left the stock jetting in the bike and did not mess with the AIS, as it has no performance effect on the engine aside from causing the lean popping noises inside the exhaust. With this setting, we felt the bike was more ridable and smoother in the smaller throttle positions than the GYTR-jetted bike, and it got better fuel economy. Plus, it ran better at elevations above 7000 feet."

Finally, leaving the stock jetting alone as mentioned in the article would seem to imply that the stock needle was not changed. However, I would still get rid of the AIS, if you want to go with the Dirt Rider recommended jetting, because listening to it pop is annoying and may cover up a lean jetting problem.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted November 20, 2007 - 04:05 PM

I used the new jets and adjustable needle in the GYTR AIS removal kit and my bike runs great. I'm a few hundred feet above sea level.

No popping on decel and I have the ubiquitous thumper off-idle bog if I nail the throttle.

The bike accelerates like a raped ape when traction is good.:thumbsup: :ride: :busted:

-Jay

• suzukipoo

Posted November 22, 2007 - 01:42 AM

Same here just installed the ais kit and fmf factory 4.1 slip on with a adjustable fuel screw! Bike runs awesome!!!

• ophir

Posted November 22, 2007 - 06:47 AM

For my 08, I used the GYTR ASI removal. I used the richer leak jet, put in a JD jetting kit for my altitude and the bike runs great. It is the best jetted four stroke and by far the best jetted WR I have owned. I have owned four of them and this combination works awesome. I have the GYTR competition insert in my exhaust. It is around 96 and works fine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.